Turkeys being mean to cornish cross hens

Riverjoy

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2021
I have 3 heritage turkey toms and 2 females living together with some egg chickens and 3 cornish crosses. They were all raised together.

The turkeys are 6 months old. They are trying to breed with the cornish cross hens who are not as agile as the other chickens, and attacking their heads.

Do I separate the toms? Right now the two injured meat hens are in quarantine for head/neck wounds. The other chickens are attacking them too. Do I get rid of toms/separate them? I see that their snoods are bloody and swollen, so they are fighting with one another. Would they be arrogant enough to attack the agile Rhode Island reds? Thank you all in advance. This has been quite a journey.

I have 3 heritage turkey toms and 2 females living together with some egg chickens and 3 cornish crosses. They were all raised together.

The turkeys are 6 months old. They are trying to breed with the cornish cross hens who are not as agile as the other chickens, and attacking their heads.

Do I separate the toms? Right now the two injured meat hens are in quarantine for head/neck wounds. The other chickens are attacking them too. Do I get rid of toms/separate them? I see that their snoods are bloody and swollen, so they are fighting with one another. Would they be arrogant enough to attack the agile Rhode Island reds? Thank you all in advance. This has been quite a journey.
Get rid of 2 of the toms and separate the other turkeys from the chickens.

Thank you R2Elk, it goes along with what I was thinking too. One of the cornish crosses has a hole in her head thats healing. Will I ever be able to re-introduce her to the others if I spray the hole with blue kote? So far, they go right for her, and I have to let her free-range by herself.

Thank you R2Elk, it goes along with what I was thinking too. One of the cornish crosses has a hole in her head thats healing. Will I ever be able to re-introduce her to the others if I spray the hole with blue kote? So far, they go right for her, and I have to let her free-range by herself.
She will never be able to be with the turkeys. In time and with a proper introduction technique she should be able to be introduced to the other chickens. Sometimes Pick-No-More can be effective.

Back
Top Bottom