Turkeys & Ducks?

Quote:
Ok thank you. This may be a stupid question but is the blackhead a disease other birds can get/give even if their are no chickens? How do you prevent it if it is a problem in your area? And how do you find out if it is a problem in your area? I cant seem to find any of this lol

Hmm maybe I wont have guineas then.. Thank you for the information.

on agression between birds - it's not just specific species. I've got two tom turkeys and they get along ok, probably because one is well established and the other grew up with him and hasn't considered challenging. other folks I know can't keep two toms in the same area without a fight. and some have the odd squable but no regular problems. I've had no inter-species fighting, or breeding attempts, but some folks do. so it's not guineas specifically - mine are great, no aggression towards other birds. it's your individual circumstances and your individual birds, I think. results are widely variable. it may have to do with other things as well - size of the space they're kept in, number of birds in that space, how they're fed (spread out or in one tight area), time of year, age of the birds, and probably other things too.

on blackhead, yes, you could be exposed to it even without introducing sick chickens. it can come in on people's shoes if they've walked in a contaminated area... but my understanding is that generally it's transmitted by sick birds. we do have it in our area - I know a fellow who works at a turkey farm about 5 miles from us, they lost a lot of birds to it last year he says... but on my property we've had no problems at all. needless to say, I don't let him walk in his work boots through my poultry area.

prevention is mostly good husbandry and bio-security practices - quarantine new birds, only buy from people you know have had no issues with it, don't let folks walk through your poultry area or handle your birds, keep your birds in good health and make sure they get proper nutrition, isolate any sick birds immediately, disinfect areas where sick birds have been... you know the general best practices for raising animals. the problem is that chickens can have it and recover, and can transmit it to turkeys. turkeys, for the most part, don't seem to recover, it's more fatal for them. so the issue is mostly that you can have apparently healthy chickens that have had it or are very midly sick, and you won't know, and they can give it to your turkeys who will die. so it's kind of sneaky... I think that's why folks are so jumpy on the subject. most folks on here don't seem to actually have had issues - they just know the alarming tales of what can happen, so they warn with enthusiasm. a few folks on here have actually *had* birds with blackhead, but it seems most haven't.

to find out if you have it in your area, try your local county extension office and ask for their poultry person, or contact a local poultry/agricultural veterinarian and ask if they've seen it in their practices.

Quote:

on agression between birds - it's not just specific species. I've got two tom turkeys and they get along ok, probably because one is well established and the other grew up with him and hasn't considered challenging. other folks I know can't keep two toms in the same area without a fight. and some have the odd squable but no regular problems. I've had no inter-species fighting, or breeding attempts, but some folks do. so it's not guineas specifically - mine are great, no aggression towards other birds. it's your individual circumstances and your individual birds, I think. results are widely variable. it may have to do with other things as well - size of the space they're kept in, number of birds in that space, how they're fed (spread out or in one tight area), time of year, age of the birds, and probably other things too.

on blackhead, yes, you could be exposed to it even without introducing sick chickens. it can come in on people's shoes if they've walked in a contaminated area... but my understanding is that generally it's transmitted by sick birds. we do have it in our area - I know a fellow who works at a turkey farm about 5 miles from us, they lost a lot of birds to it last year he says... but on my property we've had no problems at all. needless to say, I don't let him walk in his work boots through my poultry area.

prevention is mostly good husbandry and bio-security practices - quarantine new birds, only buy from people you know have had no issues with it, don't let folks walk through your poultry area or handle your birds, keep your birds in good health and make sure they get proper nutrition, isolate any sick birds immediately, disinfect areas where sick birds have been... you know the general best practices for raising animals. the problem is that chickens can have it and recover, and can transmit it to turkeys. turkeys, for the most part, don't seem to recover, it's more fatal for them. so the issue is mostly that you can have apparently healthy chickens that have had it or are very midly sick, and you won't know, and they can give it to your turkeys who will die. so it's kind of sneaky... I think that's why folks are so jumpy on the subject. most folks on here don't seem to actually have had issues - they just know the alarming tales of what can happen, so they warn with enthusiasm. a few folks on here have actually *had* birds with blackhead, but it seems most haven't.

to find out if you have it in your area, try your local county extension office and ask for their poultry person, or contact a local poultry/agricultural veterinarian and ask if they've seen it in their practices.

Thank you very much for all this information! On blackhead can a chick egg have it if parents do? I mean if I hatch eggs from a bird who may be mildly sick or sick will the babies have it as well? Or will the babies only have it if they come in contact with it outside after hatching?

good question, I had to look that one up!
http://www.millerhatcheries.com/information/diseases/blackhead_disease.htm

here's what they had to say on the subject:

Quote: so based on that, I'd say no, not typically transmitted in the egg

understanding the way a particular disease works is important to control... for instance, transport on the shoes has to do more with droppings or mud caught in the tread of the shoe being and being deposited in another area, and not with surface contact, as would be the case, say, for the flu, where you can get it by touching a surface that someone with the bug has touched.

with blackhead, the organism itself is relatively fragile, but the nematode eggs are sturdy and can house the infecting agent for long periods of time, and can be transported from place to place, then persist in the dirt for years.

BTW, blackhead is treatable - search on "fishzole" I think, in this forum. but as I said before, chickens are more likely to recover that turkeys, even when treated.

Back
Top Bottom