Turkeys For 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: Oh very cool! You guys are always welcome to visit our thread, we have members from all over.
Racinchickins was gracious enough to host our very first chickenfest on the 28th, we held a processing workshop, met lots of members and had a GREAT time
highfive.gif

So I Kind Of Jumped right into Geese. I picked up some Grey Africans Today and I don't exactly know whats going on here. The Woman I purchased him from Insisted "Only Buy The African because the other goose is mean.I did as she Said Becasue I don't know Much about Geese. I know they Need a Deep Water Bucket And Love To munch on grass. But What Do I do in the winter?Today He didn't even eat any of the grass in my Goose Pen. What's Going On?!?! He Dranks lots of water and swam in his pool abit but most of the time... accually like 99.9% of the time he preened and stared at everything. He was penned up in a 5x7 foot pen with a Chinise goose and an Kaki Kampbell Duck, the poor thing. Now he has a quarter Acre to roam but he won't I have 12 turkeys and one hen went after him but I put them in a seperate pasture. What is going on and how Can I fix this. Are My Toms and Hens disturbing him or is he scared. He is the sweetest goose ever. No hissing or alarm honks only little honks and he doesent like to be followed. Please someone help. I just started Geese and I don't want to have a bad first experiance. Oh and My turkey hens poult hatched. she sat on one egg!
Congrats on the hatch
jumpy.gif
They are much calmer than chinese, I have both those breeds and Embdens. He can have an all flock feed, sounds like he hasn't had the opportunity to range freely. Mine love bread as a treat, cracked corn, or crackers as treats also. (easy on the crackers especially due to the salt.) Just spend time and talk to him, he will adjust. They are slow to trust so go easy. They are flock animals so he is probably lonely right now, confused and scared. If you have a patch of clover, grab up a handful and put in his food dish too. OH and lettuce, especially romaine!

IT is feeling like winter is coming already here. THe nights hare much colder. Or else I would still be hatching!!!  I'm trying to be done for the year.  TRying. . . . very hard . . . .

Please send that weather over this way. :/

I hope that I'm done for the year too. :oops:

Yes, always price your hens higher than your males. The person buying the hen will be able to benefit from the hen when eggs are layed and/or sold and poults are hatched and/or sold.

eggs sold - a person can make at least $3.00 per egg x12 = $36.00 per dozen x's who knows how many dozen she will lay.

poults sold - $12.00 per poult x assuming she hatches 10 poults = $120.00 total.

if she hatches more than 1 clutch of eggs, that's more money.

I honestly feel that the person will get their money's worth when buying a hen. Just my opinion.

I have to say that I agree with you 100% on your pricing. Feed is expensive and your turkeys are worth it. Don't short yourself when selling them. I do not think that $30.00 is too high. The older that my hens get, the more I sell them for. At my place, a person can expect to pay a minimum of $65.00 for a hen. And the thing is, I don't have to sell anything, so they can take it or leave it. Matters a dime to me. ;) They are the one that is looking for a hen - not me. I got plenty! :p

And I sell my Toms for $50.00 and people buy them. If they say that Mr. Tree Stump down the road sells his Toms for $20.00, I direct them BACK to Mr. Tree STump so that they can buy that $20.00 tom from Mr. Tree Stump because I ain't going down on my price. Sorry Charlies. ;)

Now go make your money! ;) :D

Thank you Zootopia and kuntrygirl for your feedback. You are both right. I don't have to sell them either, they can always be processed for the holidays if I have too many. At what age are you selling toms for $50? Year old birds or young adults? Even at $5/pound, a 12 pound tom processed is $60. I sell mine for $7.50/pound because they are organically fed only.

desertmarcy, I thought about you yesterday when I was in my chicken yard and someone drove up. It was an older guy that had a familiar face to me. As I walked out of my chicken yard towards him he said, "It's August and I'm back for my female turkey". I was like, "HUH?". I had no idea what he was talking about. He said, "I came here at the beginning of the year and I asked you to buy a female turkey for my Tom because he was lonely and you told me that you didn't have any for sale but to try back in August and it's August and I want my turkey". All I could do was laugh. :gig I remembered him and I remembered saying that but I was kinda joking and I didn't think that he would return. He said, "And I have the exact money and I don't need any change." I also remembered telling him how much a female turkey would cost and he said ok back then and he said ok on yesterday. I told him that a female would be $75.00. He didn't flinch or stutter when I told him the price again. He GLADLY handed over $75.00 and I gladly accepted it. I gave him 3 free dozen of eggs because he doesn't have chickens and I thought that he would enjoy a freebie since he paid so much for the hen. Boy, he was so glad to get those eggs. He couldn't believe that I had given him FREE eggs.

So, this is why I set my prices so high because if they really want it they will pay for it. And if they complain about the price, then they can move it along and find someone else to buy a cheap bird from because I don't back down on my prices. ;)

desertmarcy, I thought about you yesterday when I was in my chicken yard and someone drove up. It was an older guy that had a familiar face to me. As I walked out of my chicken yard towards him he said, "It's August and I'm back for my female turkey". I was like, "HUH?". I had no idea what he was talking about. He said, "I came here at the beginning of the year and I asked you to buy a female turkey for my Tom because he was lonely and you told me that you didn't have any for sale but to try back in August and it's August and I want my turkey". All I could do was laugh. :gig I remembered him and I remembered saying that but I was kinda joking and I didn't think that he would return. He said, "And I have the exact money and I don't need any change." I also remembered telling him how much a female turkey would cost and he said ok back then and he said ok on yesterday. I told him that a female would be $75.00. He didn't flinch or stutter when I told him the price again. He GLADLY handed over $75.00 and I gladly accepted it. I gave him 3 free dozen of eggs because he doesn't have chickens and I thought that he would enjoy a freebie since he paid so much for the hen. Boy, he was so glad to get those eggs. He couldn't believe that I had given him FREE eggs.

So, this is why I set my prices so high because if they really want it they will pay for it. And if they complain about the price, then they can move it along and find someone else to buy a cheap bird from because I don't back down on my prices. ;)

That would never happen to me! Congratulations!

That would never happen to me! Congratulations!

Never say Never. You never know. ;)

Thanks

IT is feeling like winter is coming already here. THe nights hare much colder. Or else I would still be hatching!!! I'm trying to be done for the year. TRying. . . . very hard . . . .
Please send that weather over this way. :/ I hope that I'm done for the year too. :oops:
If only the winds blew that direction !! lol I have been thinking of thext year-- does anyone use lights??? I might extend my year as suddenly people are wanting hatching eggs.
th.gif
No lights here.

We got the babies moved into their new pen, they love it! But the big turkey and other birds are not sure what to think of them!
tongue.png

Last edited:
I don't use lights here either I let them run their natural cycle.

I also thought I was done with hatching for the year. My last batch of chicks hatched 2 weeks ago and I packed up my 2 incubators. Well I was away on vaca for a week and came home to a broody chicken hen sitting on 5 chicken eggs and what looks to be a 1st time broody turkey hen sitting on 8 turkey eggs
th.gif
. Guess Im not done quite yet since the birds had other plans for me.

This will be my first time ever having a turkey hen hatch her own babies(I wasn't expecting it to happen this year since this is their first season of egg laying but then again I never let their eggs accumulate) Now Im wondering how to go about it. I know I will have to separate her from the toms. I have 2 hens and 2 toms should I put her alone or with the other hen also. And how soon should I make her a separate area, now or closer to hatch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom