Turkeys For 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: Definitely ease into this!!

THe benefit of poults now is that they will be well filled out for the holidays next year. SO no right or wrong here, just a matter of choice. If you have a good set up the hen should be able to handle the situation, but if she is new to the job, have a back up plan for brooding.

That sounds like a great shelter I love the 2 stalls idea I wish I had separate stalls to separate certain turkeys when I need too. Are they going to have a fenced in run or will they free range during the day? Are you also planning on over wintering them? If so you may want it to build a full shed or make it so you can roll down a tarp from the top and fasten it to the bottom so you can cover the front in bad weather. What variety of turkey are you planning on?
We'll fence in a run next year and make it a little bigger each year. There's a good acre of flat land there, so plenty of room to expand. We are planning on over wintering a trio or two pair. The tarp is a good idea, that's what I'm planning for the chicken coop run too, so on snow days or high winds, I can block it off, then keep it open in summer. We're getting Blacks, really like the looks of them, found a breeder in CT who has some super nice ones, works out good for us because we can go pick them up instead of shipping them.

Quote: I learned a method from a man from Africa where the men process all their own meats for their families. He showed me using chickens, but I find it works for all heritage types, just not for the cornishX. Turkeys are a bit to manage.

Lay out a grain bag and have a very sharp knife handy. Have the birds keel facing away from you, and position so if you hold knife in right hand, the wings are under left foot.

As you lay bird onto bag, stand on the legs, with care and thoughtfulness just to imobilize, Pull wings over back as if flying then stand on primary feathers. Usually they don't struggle at all. Takes a few tries to get the bird into position smoothly. Both hands are free. One to lift the head back and expose the throat and the other hand to cut the two jugulars. Either let it bleed out onto the bag , or hang into a 5gal bucket to collect blood. ANd I say a prayer of thanks to the bird.

I do like someone's idea of wrapping the wings to the body, maybe an ace wrap. Just haven't tried it.

Not a perfect method, but I can process by myself. Sometimes I need a shower right after, if you know what I mean.

wink.png
Love it
gig.gif

Orders are coming in for turkeys. Looks like it will be a long weekend for me. I will be processing alone.
hmm.png
I usually do it alone too. 4 left to go and done for this year.
Then on to all these roosters to empty out the chicken coop a bit!

Quote: I learned a method from a man from Africa where the men process all their own meats for their families. He showed me using chickens, but I find it works for all heritage types, just not for the cornishX. Turkeys are a bit to manage.

Lay out a grain bag and have a very sharp knife handy. Have the birds keel facing away from you, and position so if you hold knife in right hand, the wings are under left foot.

As you lay bird onto bag, stand on the legs, with care and thoughtfulness just to imobilize, Pull wings over back as if flying then stand on primary feathers. Usually they don't struggle at all. Takes a few tries to get the bird into position smoothly. Both hands are free. One to lift the head back and expose the throat and the other hand to cut the two jugulars. Either let it bleed out onto the bag , or hang into a 5gal bucket to collect blood. ANd I say a prayer of thanks to the bird.

I do like someone's idea of wrapping the wings to the body, maybe an ace wrap. Just haven't tried it.

Not a perfect method, but I can process by myself. Sometimes I need a shower right after, if you know what I mean.
Fantastic method! I have a lot of trouble lifting these big boys, so this gives me an alternative!

Yes, these birds are heavy. I have tried holding one while it drained i nto a bucket and while I"m pretty strong, my arms were getting tired. Handing a bird by his legs, especially when they are so heavy makes me feel concerned for their well being. I try to make it easy for them and me.

Yes, these birds are heavy. I have tried holding one while it drained i nto a bucket and while I"m pretty strong, my arms were getting tired. Handing a bird by his legs, especially when they are so heavy makes me feel concerned for their well being. I try to make it easy for them and me.
Agreed, I feel horribly if its not quick for them and its not right to frighten them. I can't hold one this big up for very long either.
I tried using the tractor and one of his feet slipped out of the ropes suspended from the front loader.
I made slip knots on both sides, and one had a kink that stopped it from tightening.
It was terrible, and I know it was frightening for the bird. So I left him for the following week.
I had not slit him yet, or it would have been even worse.
I have used an ace bandage for the wings. Has to be pretty snug or they will get it off quick.
If I can't use a cone I like your method better. I ran across a sheet of heavy tin, DH said he will make us (me) an XXXL cone to fit a turkey.
After getting this BR tom/pair last month it better be a BIG cone, I can barely lift him! Not processing him, but will be his sons
wink.png

I need a larger scale to weigh him. Really excited to see the poults grow out next year from this new pair!
Snoodles (your eggs) and snickers (another private breeder's eggs, only hen out of the hatch) are jake and jenny for sure.
Giving him a BBW jenny thats small, she is like a normal hen.
The larger BBW jenny (at least 17lbs) I will give to my big tom.
Excited to see how next breeding season goes. And hoping the porters order gives me another pair too
big_smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom