Turkeys for Eggs

Thanks for the answer! Do you know if there is a more colorful breed that lays a good amount of eggs?

MrPepers, heritage bred turkeys are all the same "breed", different colors are different "varieties" of the same "breed". So, unlike chickens, on an average they lay about the same amount of eggs. They are considered "seasonal layers. Again unlike chickens.

MrPepers, heritage bred turkeys are all the same "breed", different colors are different "varieties" of the same "breed". So, unlike chickens, on an average they lay about the same amount of eggs. They are considered "seasonal layers. Again unlike chickens.
Thanks for telling me, I didn't know that.

MrPepers, heritage bred turkeys are all the same "breed", different colors are different "varieties" of the same "breed

Thanks for telling me, I didn't know that.

That's a matter of opinion.
You stand a midget white next to a bourbon red next to a royal palm I'm not seeing the same turkey just different colors.
They are very different and different breeds. Imo

That's a matter of opinion.
You stand a midget white next to a bourbon red next to a royal palm I'm not seeing the same turkey just different colors.
They are very different and different breeds. Imo
It is not a matter of opinion.

The term breed when properly used differentiates at the species level.

There are two species of turkeys.

Ocellated turkeys which are Meleagris ocellata

and all other turkeys which are Meleagris gallipavo

Technically there are two breeds which are Ocellated Turkeys and Turkeys.

All domestic turkeys are descended from the wild turkey which is Meleagris gallipavo gallipavo.

There are huge physical differences between broad breasted and heritage turkeys but since they are all the same species they are all the same breed and are properly differentiated by the term Variety.

Back
Top Bottom