Turkeys for hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Vermont Poultry, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Vermont Poultry

Vermont Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    Can you use a turkey to hatch a chickens eggs. I have been looking at many different chicken breeds for raising chicks, but then I came across a video of a man from Thailand using a turkey to hatch his chicken eggs. I was wondering if I could get a turkey to hatch a large clutch, but how good of a mother are turkeys? Will they show them how to survive? Or should I stick with using chickens to hatch eggs (I don't really like incubators but I could always do that). And if anyone has suggestions on good chicken mother breeds that would be awesome too.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I use my chickens to hatch my turkey eggs and any chicken eggs. I haven't had any luck with Turkey hens being good hatchers. I have bantam cochins, and silkies are another reliably broody breed.

3. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    I have turkeys that had hatched their own eggs but seem dumber than chickens when it comes to teach the babies to eat. The chickens call the babies and show them food. I have not seen that with my turkeys. I have had chickens hatch turkey eggs and raise the poult with success, with the turkey hens I loose some of the babies every time they hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by