Turkeys for meat (newbie)

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Deviant, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Deviant

Deviant Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Fluvanna
    I have had chickens for a year and I was thinking of getting maybe a few turkey. I will build a new run for them and a place for them to sleep I know they don't need a "coop" but what kind are best for eating? And if there is a thread about this already sorry I didn't find it.

2. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    That depends if you just want a Hybrid that will give you a lot of food fast to fill the freezer and not winter over the flock or if you want a Heritage breed that is slower growing, will be a sustainable source of food with the ability to reproduce naturally, but will not reach max meat on it's frame until the second year?
    Can you be a little more specific about what your needs and goals are?

3. Deviant

Mar 9, 2012
    Fluvanna
    sure I can lol. Looking for something for Thanksgiving this year. I have been looking at the broad breasted. That way if it turns out to where I don't like them or if they are too much trouble I can redo it a little bit and put some chickens in there. Long story short this year for the meat.

4. Deviant

Mar 9, 2012
    Fluvanna
    I guess the White ones are the way to go Hen -------22 lbs (at 20 wks) Tom----34 lbs (at 20 wks)

5. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    Yes, and the same for the BBB, they grow very fast and have a lot of white meat on them, too. What most people, I have talked to, have done is raise the Hybrids for turkeys for this year and a Heritage breed at the same time for next year. If you like raising chickens, you will, probably, love raising turkeys! Just be careful not to feed the BB type too much or let it gain weight too fast as they are notorious for week legs and heart attacks because of the rabid growth rate. [​IMG]

6. Deviant

Mar 9, 2012
    Fluvanna
    ok well maybe I will give it a shoot this year then. I will get everything done and then get them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by