turkeys in thailand

dude92627

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 26, 2009
costa mesa
last thanksgiving i arrived back in my village in thailand, thought i'd start the thanksgiving tradition with my thai family there...so i bought 2 young turkeys to butcher. when they got to the house they turned out to be, too young, too skinny. so i thought i'd fatten them up till xmas. put them in the neighbor's chicken pen, and feed them on rice and the leaves they cleaned off vegetables at the fresh market. i can buy a good sized garbage bag for just pennies a day...in fact i feed all the chickens too. at xmas i was a little too attached to the girls to do them in, so i still have them. family matters here in the states called me back so they are still there and getting really healthy. the day before i left we found an egg. since then they have been laying on and off. yesterday my wife was telling me that they are finding eggs all the time now. as many as 9 at once...i added up the numbers and from what she told me it added up to 24 eggs in just 3 days. that just doesn't sound right for 2 turkeys to be laying. i'm thinking this has to be over a longer period and they just aren't finding them. so now i'm wondering just how many eggs a hen lays in a day, i sort of figured it would be only 1, maybe 2 on some days...or maybe because they are eating some much vegetables they can lay more...it's hard to know what is going on over there from here. what is the usual number of eggs for a turkey to lay?

wasn't planning on becoming a turkey rancher, i have a hard enough time roping the goats.

If there are chickens in with them, I think it's more likely that the chickens are laying in the turkey nest.

Quote:
That does seem probable.

Our chicks are a long way off laying eggs but I will try to get some information from the neighbours who supplied them to us. I was told that they have had two clutches of around 15 eggs this year from two hens but facts can be very flexible in this part of the world and I need to ask more detailed questions. Certainly their stag seems to be very keen to carry out his duties if that's an indication!

Where in Thailand is your home dude92627?

i'm outside of udonthani, where are you located? hoping to get back back there soon, had to come back when my mom died, and my brother was sick. i'm opening a farang cafe about 6 clicks out of udon. stop by for a beer if you ever get in the neighborhood.

i was thinking it must be the chickens too, but my wife says they can tell the difference. i read the link about egg laying a year and that sounded more along the lines i imagined. i'm having them check everyday now, 1 egg yesterday and none today. i'll keep you posted if i can keep them checking everyday. i do need to find a tom, i found a place where they were running around free, just need to find out who owns them and buy one.

thaiturkey i see you are in Nakhon Ratchasima, just googled you and you're quite a bit south of me. i'm almost up to the lao border. drop me a line if you ever get up my way.

facts can be very flexible in this part of the world
lol.png

isn't that the truth

Quote:
You spotted that we are in Korat. In fact, in a village just outside Pak Thong Chai, 30K south of Korat.

They latest information about the egg count is one per day. I will ask again next week, this time without suggesting the answer.

Our turkeys' parents came from Loei. We are heading up there to buy some ourselves in April. The farm is owned by relatives of our neighbours who keep turkeys and I think there are some big turkey farms in the area. You'd be welcome to join us if you are back by then. We might pick up a few tips too.

Are you on the road to Friendship Bridge? We go to Vientiane once in a while. I'll get over for a beer at your place when it's open in any case.

Safe journey back to LOS!

if you are driving up on the road from khon kaen to udon, you'd take a right onto ring road, go up to the next stop light and take another right (the new freeway overpass is there and big c is on your left) that is the road to sakon nakhon. my cafe will be down 4-5 clicks on the left, there is a 7-11 at the fresh market and you take a left on the soi just before it (the 7-11 is on the corner, and the fresh market is just beyond it) follow soi down to the first crossing intersection...i'm on the left in the middle shop just before the intersection. my families house is down the same road to sakon nakhon, just take a left 69 k marker...it just on the corner past where you take the left. follow soi down till it T's, take a right, then a left down the second soi...i'm in the second to the last place on the left. sounds complicated but if you follow those directions it's easy to find.

i'm hoping to be back by sonkran, udon is a fun place then.

Back
Top Bottom