Turkeys? Lots of questions!

There are mean individuals, but our few, at least, have been very easy going

Walkin013109.jpg

hi,
i raised 4 broad breasted whites this year with my chicken flock in the backyard with success. We got the turkeys as day olds and raised them under lights in a brooder for the first few weeks, as they like to be kept really warm. At 4 or 5 weeks, we put them out in a bottomless cage on grass, and covered them at night to keep out any drafts. by 6 or 7 weeks we introduced them to the RIR flock, and they cohabitated from then on. the chickens bullied them around for awhile until the turkeys realized they were bigger. I have a small coop, but the turkeys preferred to sleep on the fence or the coop roof - even in the freezing rain and snow. the cold temperatures didn't seem to bother them.
I think we'll try some meat birds this year instead of turkeys, but I'd recommend trying them if you are interested. Good luck and have fun.
here is a short video of my turkeys in the snow.
As for the agression issue...these birds were like puppy dogs. followed us everywhere and jumped up in your lap for 'treats'!

Last edited:
any turkey breed is OK. however I am not thrilled with the BB Whites. just for the reasons stated here and the fact that they have little personallity.. Not their fault.they were bred for meat and that is what they do best..

I have 28 royal palms..(anybody need a jake?)
idunno.gif

Wausau, wi!? I grew up around Merrill - howdy!

Anyway- thanks for the helpful thread

What about chickens and turkeys? I have heard that turkeys get picked on by chickens if in the same run?

Last edited:
I would keep chickens and turkeys separate. They can cross-contaminate one another with diseases that are nothing to chickens, but deadly to turkeys. I know some people ignore this with success, but I play better safe than sorry.

Also, turkeys can get huge. You don't want them trying to mate your hens... and they will.

old.gif

My bb white turkey has never been aggressive. I could put my eye up to his face and blink my eyelashes like a dum-dum if I wanted to and he wouldn't do anything. He also doesn't try to mate with my hens. He just struts around and, really, he has little personality. The female, Turkle, was personable and quite funny. But, my tom is a sweet, sweet boy. He struts, mostly. Eats and struts. One thing to note, though, is that I purchased only two turkey polts and raised them with an immense amount of interaction with humans. They essentially became pets. They may have been different if they were running about with limited contact with humans. I don't know.
smile.png

Quote:
I am about half way beween wausau and merrill and 5 miles from Little Chicago.. 8 miles from Marathon..

lau.gif
I have a rooster outside right now who should read this.. he snuck out of the chicken coop at noon and has been dodging 8 turkeys ever since.. when I catch him he will be glad to get back into the coop..
gig.gif

I keep turkeys in with the chickens.. so far I have been lucky.. no illnesses in 4 years of doing this..

my hen turkey lays her eggs in the chicken nests..

......jiminwisc.......

Back
Top Bottom