turkeys mixed with chickens

I haven't met anyone here that has dealt with blackhead locally. That is not to say it does not happen, just I have not heard about it happening here in Yellowstone county. When I look at the diagnostic lab website, I can't even see a place to report blackhead as its own disease under the poultry group, likely one could potentially call the lab and ask if they have ever seen a case of blackhead in our state. I have not seen it. Then again, I hatch turkeys and chickens together in the same incubator and they aren't separated until the pullets reach around 12-16 weeks old, then I remove the pullets. The turkeys can deal with the cockerels quite well and don't put up with shenannigans. So, short answer is, I have not seen blackhead in Montana, at least not around Yellowstone county. I bet you won't see it around Eastern Montana. You have a chance of seeing it more in Western Montana because it gets wetter there and the soil is richer, which worms like (the intermediary host).

I haven't met anyone here that has dealt with blackhead locally. That is not to say it does not happen, just I have not heard about it happening here in Yellowstone county. When I look at the diagnostic lab website, I can't even see a place to report blackhead as its own disease under the poultry group, likely one could potentially call the lab and ask if they have ever seen a case of blackhead in our state. I have not seen it. Then again, I hatch turkeys and chickens together in the same incubator and they aren't separated until the pullets reach around 12-16 weeks old, then I remove the pullets. The turkeys can deal with the cockerels quite well and don't put up with shenannigans. So, short answer is, I have not seen blackhead in Montana, at least not around Yellowstone county. I bet you won't see it around Eastern Montana. You have a chance of seeing it more in Western Montana because it gets wetter there and the soil is richer, which worms like (the intermediary host).
thanks a lot, so I'm probably fine raising them in bozeman.

thanks a lot, so I'm probably fine raising them in bozeman.
Yeah, I would suspect so. It only gets a little wetter there, and definitely colder there than Billings. Since they have a veterinarian testing lab in Bozeman too you can ask if they have encountered blackhead there.

Back
Top Bottom