Turkeys?? When do they get Noisy?

chickens4me

Songster
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
South Carolina
I would love to just raise a few turkey for processing (hopefully) in the fall about 2 to 4 ?

I found out here on BYC that they are very noisy & I have closer neighors, but when do they get noisy?? Are they just plain noisy from birth?
hu.gif

I was thinking I could process them before they got too noisy maybe? Well, that's just my thinking right now anyway.....

My neighbors have been really good about my chickens, but they are all hens so far except one "quieter" silkie roo.
cool.png

Do you think this would work? or not.....
smile.png

Last edited:
I'm curious to follow this question as well. I didn't know that Turkeys were noisy. My first bird, Patrick only gobbled at the garbage truck. He didn't like it. I never heard a peep out of him otherwise.

We have a neighbor across the street who is very difficult to like. He made the mistake one year of commenting on my holiday decorations being in poor taste, so for Thanksgiving last year we did it up even more, by adding a pool for the duck decoy. (that's his house in the background)

mothersdaypond2.jpg

I'm hoping that the two poults we have now will not be very vocal when they grow up, as I don't want to give that guy any reason to call animal control. I could always tell him that we've added sound effects to the decoys for a more realistic approach to decorating.
wink.png

p.

I am raising 6 BB whites in a pen in my back yard and I don't think their noisy at all. They are three months old and haven't started gobbling. I figure when they do, it will be time to process. I have a lot of chickens with one rooster, ducks, both runners and Muscovy's, and geese, Pilgrims and White Chinese. The runner ducks and the Chinese geese are loud. They might bother an irritable neighbor. The turkeys, chickens, Muscovy's and Pilgrims, you wouldn't know they were there unless you were in the back yard or walking the fence. My opinion, get the turkeys.

It's not that they're really noisy per se.....they talk a lot when they get excited or interested in something and these guy get excited about grass growing, I'm not kidding but the "talk" is not all that noisy really. The "talk" is mostly a chirr chirring sound or a soft wheat wheat. But when they're UPSET they can be loud. If you take away their buddy or they get lost or there's something new that scares them they've got a shrill calling noise that can be added to the gobble sound that is definitely noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom