Turkeys

Crax

Chirping
Oct 4, 2020
Texas
so I understand this website is mostly for chickens but I was really curious about something..

for the longest time now I’ve wanted some bourbon red turkey to add to my backyard flock, not ones to eat but ones to just yknow generally keep.. but my brother on the other hand says all turkeys are aggressive so is that true or-?

so I understand this website is mostly for chickens but I was really curious about something..

for the longest time now I’ve wanted some bourbon red turkey to add to my backyard flock, not ones to eat but ones to just you know generally keep.. but my brother on the other hand says all turkeys are aggressive so is that true or-?
None of my turkeys are human aggressive.

That’s what I assumed cause I’ve seen lots of videos of turkeys and none seemed aggressive wild ones maybe but not domestic ones
There are lots of human aggressive turkeys. It is all in how they are raised. Ones that are imprinted lose the ability to understand that people are not turkeys.

I go out of my way to avoid imprinting my turkeys. They will not approach people. If you try to approach them, they will move away.

There are lots of human aggressive turkeys. It is all in how they are raised. Ones that are imprinted lose the ability to understand that people are not turkeys.

I go out of my way to avoid imprinting my turkeys. They will not approach people. If you try to approach them, they will move away.
Makes sense, so I’m guessing the ones imprinted mistake a person for one and will attack? Or is that not the case? I just don’t wanna get some and have them turn into next thanksgiving because they’re aggressive

Makes sense, so I’m guessing the ones imprinted mistake a person for one and will attack? Or is that not the case? I just don’t wanna get some and have them turn into next thanksgiving because they’re aggressive
That is partly the case. Imprinted turkeys can develop a possessive relation with one member of the family while attacking any other members.

Our 8 month olds were hand raised and imprinted on humans and are still more like dogs than any other birds I've known. Come running to see us. Maybe, however, I"ll be in for an unpleasant surprise once they become adults. But so far, no issues. They're our favorite birds. Oh, ok, the girl did peck at my hair relentlessly when I was stilling on the steps and she was hungry, until I forcefully grabbed her and swung her across my body and down to the ground. She then sat quietly. Anyway, ours (one BBB male and one BRfemale) aren't agressive- yet?

Back
Top Bottom