Turmeric capsules for chickens?

SCOUT123

Songster
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
San Jose, CA
My chickens won't drink turmeric water or eat the feed mixed with turmeric. They only eat it if i split a grape in half and dump some powder on it. Then they look at me very angrily after that.
roll.png

So I was wondering if I could just give them a bit of a capsule? If so, how much? And how would i administer it?

The paper that I read was about adding between !/2 to 2% turmeric in broiler feed. It promoted higher weights at slaughter (eight weeks of age?) in the birds in the study. To me, this doesn't translate into continued health for broilers, or any other birds. Mary

The paper that I read was about adding between !/2 to 2% turmeric in broiler feed. It promoted higher weights at slaughter (eight weeks of age?) in the birds in the study. To me, this doesn't translate into continued health for broilers, or any other birds. Mary
No, it said the turmeric improved liver health. It also promotes better-quality eggs in laying hens.
Did you just read the first paragraph?

Laying hen egg production and quality
Riasi et al. (2008) reported that the use of Turmeric in the diet of layers up to 2 g/kg had
no adverse effect on egg quality. Radwan et al. (2008) reported that egg production,
weight and mass increased significantly in laying hens fed Turmeric at the level of 0.5%
in the basal diet, while yolk weight and yolk index were significantly higher in the group
fed with 1.0% Turmeric in the feed. Sawale et al. (2009) recorded increased egg
production in laying hens treated with a herb-derived mineral toxin binder production
containing Curcuma longa. Radwan et al. (2008) suggested that Curcuma longa may
improve the environment in the uterus (specifically the site of calcium deposition) and
consequently increase shell weight and thickness. Moorthy et al. (2009) found no
significant effect of feeding 0.1% Curcuma longa on hen house egg production and
percent hen day egg production of Single Comb White Leghorn layers. Riasi et al. (2008)
reported that feeding different levels (0.0, 0.5, 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 g/kg of feed) of Turmeric
to the laying hens had no significant effect on speci fic gravity, egg shell thickness, egg
shell weight and eggs shell weight to egg weight ratio.

Back
Top Bottom