Turmeric treatment fowl/avian pox

alibabba

Songster
Mar 14, 2015
Southeast PA
My Coop
My Coop
My D'uccle bantam pullet has been suffering from fowl pox.

I have been using bag balm here and there, it's antiseptic and seems to help the scabs disappear. I tried Vet Rx and didn't see as much of a difference. (The Vet Rx did help another hen who was making the "meow" sound with her breaths. Just 2 applications, all cleared up.)

She is eating and drinking, just slower and very obviously miserable. Her eye became swollen and closed yesterday. No discharge.

I had just started using turmeric for myself and kids for anti inflammatory, pain killing, detox qualities. I read about giving it to chickens, I think there is a dosage on BYC somewhere for other ailments.

I went ahead and gave her about 1/3 cup wet feed, with about 3/4 teaspoon of turmeric and a bit of vegetable oil (oil is important in humans because the active ingredient binds to oil)... She had some...and so did the rest of the flock...

After about an hour she seemed much perkier. We will see...

Tonight I found this fabulous study on treatments for Avian Pox, Fowl and Pigeon....turmeric, lemon juice, lemon bark and potassium permangant... "All found highly effective against...may be used successfully as post exposure therapy..." See results from the study below:

"For the evaluation of anti-viral activities of the bio-chemical agents, boiled turmeric 25% w/v (filter and nonfilter) suspension and lemon bark of 25% w/v raw and boiled (filter and non-filter) were found highly effective against pox viruses. Lemon juice (5% v/v and 25%v/v) filtered and potassium permanganet of either concentration (0.1% and 0.5% w/v) of both filter and non-filter were found highly effective against the recent isolates of avipox viruses. Results of anti-viral activity of the bio-chemical agents used in this study indicated that these agents may be used successfully as post exposure therapy against fowl pox and pigeon pox infection in the commercial and backyard poultry in Bangladesh."

References

Kabir, Md. Luthful. June, 2014. EVALUATION OF ANTIVIRAL ACTIVITIES OF THE BIOLOGICAL AND CHEMICAL AGENTS AGAINST RECENT ISOLATES OF FOWL POX AND PIGEON POX VIRUSES
Retrieved from: http://180.211.163.203:8080/xmlui/handle/123456789/159?show=full

Fowl pox is a virus as you already know. Antibiotics can be used for secondary infections such as if a hen scratches a nodule close to her eye and it becomes infected, in which case an antibiotic could be used to stop the infection. You can put iodine or black shoe polish on the nodules to help dry them up quicker, avoid the eyes and nostrils. If untreated they will eventually form a yellow in color scab which will fall onto the ground. The scabs are highly infective and if eaten by another chicken, the chicken will get wet pox which is dangerous. Fowl pox is mainly caused by mosquitos. It takes about a month for fowl pox to go away on its own, then birds are immune to that strain thereafter.
There have been recent reports of lead tainted tumeric imported from overseas. I suggest that you google it.

UPDATE: 2 tiny doses of turmeric since yesterday, eye is 1/2 open, swelling much better. She is also continuing to act more herself. It's been a while, poor girl. Maybe she was ready to recover, maybe turmeric helped...it sure didn't hurt. :)

Black shoe polish?....as in Kiwi? lol that plant is near me. What ingredient is in the polish that is helpful...I better google it. :)! I don't mind the idea of antibiotics not an issue here
big_smile.png
if I have a sick child I would treat. Same with chickens, dog or self... I would not withhold, I see the difference between treating an illness and an ongoing regimen of keeping these chickens alive to keep producing as in corporate.

But this did not seem to warrant it. The swelling was not an infection that I could tell, no discharge, no tears, no odor, normal eye just puffy someplace, they have a lot of feathers around there so not clear exactly where..

Over the past week she was hanging out, finding her food and water pretty well and eating normally, no dribbling or missing bites, but doing a lot of resting in the sun, which I knew was a good thing for her. I did want to bring her in, BUT, BIG BUT, it is still unseasonably cold here, she is acclimated to cold, if I bring her in to my 70 degree rec room, she might over heat. If I bring her to the 40 degree garage she will be 15 degrees warmer than outside, but the stress of the being somewhere strange might be too much. I left her with her buds and her "real good sweetheart cockerel/rooster" who made sure no one picked on her.

Turmeric is becoming more widely used which is exciting, also saw one where they used it in meat flocks...and the growth and mortality was much much improved also. I have an all natural one, thank you for the tip! Most herbs from the grocery, I literally just read, are irradiated... why???

Thanks for the reply and help!!!

You mentioned the scabs being very contagious, I had read that here also. I wonder if "treated scabs" as in topical antibiotic or shoe polish or antiseptic kill the live virus there before they drop off...

Back
Top Bottom