Turmeric

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
Turmeric is sold as a immune system booster for poultry. Instructions read " give no more than 1/2 % of total feed ration" What the heck would be 1/2 % of, let's say, a standard sized feed scoop? I also have read that Turmeric is useful as an anti-inflammatory agent for tendinitis and related conditions in people, and I wondered if anyone has tried this on poultry? I am about to, we have a bantam hen who has a slight (permanent) limp, and I want to see if it will help her..one of our peacocks has also developed a limp, I think he has sprained something. My reasoning is, I can give it to the whole flock, and it might help those two also, before I have to resort to confining them.

Turmeric (curcumin) is used in Indian cooking a lot. I take it as part of my supplement regimen b/c it is supposed to inhibit cancers. It also is used in a pigeon treatment (herbal mix) for canker or trichomonas. I just used that treatment as a precaution on my flock including some 10 and 13 week old pullets. I tasted it, yuck - was it ever bitter. I gave it to them for five days and they didn't even notice! Came through the treatment just fine. The bottle says 1 teaspoon in one gallon of water - and the turmeric is the main ingredient. How that would translate to what you are doing I don't know, but I understand that turmeric has a pretty wide safety margin. Oh, and the herb also says it is good for round worm.

To get the amounts to use, I just move the decimal point over one for each %. ie: 10 % of 2 lbs = 0.2lbs, 1% of 2 lbs = 0.02, then half of that is 0.01 lbs, You'd have to convert that to an actual unit of measure if you don't have a scale. I know, its confusing. I hate math
hide.gif

Turmeric is sold as a immune system booster for poultry. Instructions read " give no more than 1/2 % of total feed ration" What the heck would be 1/2 % of, let's say, a standard sized feed scoop? I also have read that Turmeric is useful as an anti-inflammatory agent for tendinitis and related conditions in people, and I wondered if anyone has tried this on poultry? I am about to, we have a bantam hen who has a slight (permanent) limp, and I want to see if it will help her..one of our peacocks has also developed a limp, I think he has sprained something. My reasoning is, I can give it to the whole flock, and it might help those two also, before I have to resort to confining them.
When referring to feed you use weights not volume.
So a ½ % would be a ½ lb of Turmeric per 99.5 lbs of there regular feed.
OR
Roughly 0.08 oz to 1 lb of there regular feed.

Chris

well....ok...
hu.gif
They just don't seem to like it. I've tried giving it before too. I'll have to figure out the dimensions, I guess.

Tumeric
1/2 of 1% of feed ration=
.5# per 100 wt.
~13 tsp / oz.
1 c= .33lb
= .025#/5# feed. _ 1 lightly rounded tablespoon
arrived at from internet search of tumeric measurements and some arithmetic
Enjoy! :)

Back
Top Bottom