chicknmania

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
Turmeric is sold as a immune system booster for poultry. Instructions read " give no more than 1/2 % of total feed ration" What the heck would be 1/2 % of, let's say, a standard sized feed scoop? I also have read that Turmeric is useful as an anti-inflammatory agent for tendinitis and related conditions in people, and I wondered if anyone has tried this on poultry? I am about to, we have a bantam hen who has a slight (permanent) limp, and I want to see if it will help her..one of our peacocks has also developed a limp, I think he has sprained something. My reasoning is, I can give it to the whole flock, and it might help those two also, before I have to resort to confining them.

2greenboyz

Songster
10 Years
Jun 15, 2009
SoCal
Turmeric (curcumin) is used in Indian cooking a lot. I take it as part of my supplement regimen b/c it is supposed to inhibit cancers. It also is used in a pigeon treatment (herbal mix) for canker or trichomonas. I just used that treatment as a precaution on my flock including some 10 and 13 week old pullets. I tasted it, yuck - was it ever bitter. I gave it to them for five days and they didn't even notice! Came through the treatment just fine. The bottle says 1 teaspoon in one gallon of water - and the turmeric is the main ingredient. How that would translate to what you are doing I don't know, but I understand that turmeric has a pretty wide safety margin. Oh, and the herb also says it is good for round worm.

To get the amounts to use, I just move the decimal point over one for each %. ie: 10 % of 2 lbs = 0.2lbs, 1% of 2 lbs = 0.02, then half of that is 0.01 lbs, You'd have to convert that to an actual unit of measure if you don't have a scale. I know, its confusing. I hate math

Chris09

Circle (M) Ranch
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
Ohio
Turmeric is sold as a immune system booster for poultry. Instructions read " give no more than 1/2 % of total feed ration" What the heck would be 1/2 % of, let's say, a standard sized feed scoop? I also have read that Turmeric is useful as an anti-inflammatory agent for tendinitis and related conditions in people, and I wondered if anyone has tried this on poultry? I am about to, we have a bantam hen who has a slight (permanent) limp, and I want to see if it will help her..one of our peacocks has also developed a limp, I think he has sprained something. My reasoning is, I can give it to the whole flock, and it might help those two also, before I have to resort to confining them.
When referring to feed you use weights not volume.
So a ½ % would be a ½ lb of Turmeric per 99.5 lbs of there regular feed.
OR
Roughly 0.08 oz to 1 lb of there regular feed.

Chris

chicknmania

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
well....ok...
They just don't seem to like it. I've tried giving it before too. I'll have to figure out the dimensions, I guess.

hencackle

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Telford, TN
Try mixing it into yogurt, kefir, or buttermilk--something you know they like. Then, stir the mixture into the feed/treat bowls.

marob

Hatching
Mar 9, 2015
Tumeric
1/2 of 1% of feed ration=
.5# per 100 wt.
~13 tsp / oz.
1 c= .33lb
= .025#/5# feed. _ 1 lightly rounded tablespoon
arrived at from internet search of tumeric measurements and some arithmetic
Enjoy! :)

Top Bottom