Turning a Craigslist dog house into a coop, need suggestions

mamakelly

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
I bought this doghouse to turn into a chicken coop, on Craigslist for $25! It's 3 1/2 feet long by 6 feet wide. It has a nice shingled roof that adds an extra foot to the height. I was thinking I'd build a frame for it, and make the run underneath the coop, but that may not work because this thing is super heavy. I'm going to close up the opening on the right, and make a door on the left opening. Any ideas for ventilation? The floor is wood, what should I do to contain poop? Any other suggestions?

53943_img_8352.jpg

53943_img_8353.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with putting a frame under it for additional cover. That is an excellent structure to start with! Lots of potential.

A "pop door" is the door that the chickens use to exit the coop and enter the run. Below is an example of what you can do with the space under your coop. The "pop door" is at the top of the ramp on the left.

NewImage.jpg

What a great find!

Use a good paint or sealer on the floor, to help protect it. Then add wood shavings. If you allow a little lip at the bottom of the pop door, then the shavings won't fall out.

I think raising it would not only give the chickens space underneath, it would make chores easier, without as much stooping for you. If you cover the front open section with a door, instead of a solid wall, you will have a great service door for cleaning, as well as any other chores.

What are you planning to do for a roof? Can you add some ventilation at the very top of the walls, just under the roof? A hinged roof might be interesting for cleaning, too, if you leave it on the ground.

It already has a peaked roof with shingles and everything. It just makes the thing really heavy, so DH didn't put the roof back on after we moved it. After I get it converted we will put the top back on :)

i know that the vinyl tiles on the floor help a lot with cleanup in the coops that i built and i like the idea about the a/c vent on the sides for ventilation. good luck with your find
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom