Turning a dog run into a coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dangersjones, Apr 26, 2016.

1. dangersjones

dangersjones New Egg

Apr 4, 2016
    Lodi,CA
    [​IMG]
    I'm new to chicken keeping and purchased a premade coop for my four pullets at Tractor Supply. It was cute and would look nice in my suburban back yard. The add said it accommodates 6-9 chickens but my 3 month olds are already super crowded. I'm pretty crafty and thought I could come up with a more comfortable.
    I purchased a dog run, (4x6x8 feet) and I'm planning on modifying an old dresser to be a nesting box/shelter.
    My question is, how much covered indoor space do four chickens need? I live in Central California so it doesn't get too crazy cold. I know they're supposed to sleep on roost bars but they're currently sleeping in the inclosed part of my store bought coop. Help!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Your birds will naturally sleep in the enclosed space - thats really what is for. Unfortunately, the number of birds prefab coops claim to hold a grossly exaggerated. Here are the minimum recommended space requirements for chickens, per bird:

Coop - 4 sqft
    Run - 10 sqft
    Roost - 1 ft

The roosts needs to be in the enclosed space.

Good luck
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by