Turning a shed into a coop.

Pics

hispoptart

Free Ranging
12 Years
Apr 14, 2011
NW Colorado
Ok so I have 3 pullets left in my current set-up. I had 4 but lost one to what now looks like a skunk. I trapped the skunk and it is now coyote food far, far away. I have been thinking of doing this for some time, but losing one of my girls has put my butt in high gear. Today I spent the day clearing out another shed to make room for the things we will be keeping from this shed that will become the new coop.

So now come the pics. I know that my current set-up is not good enough, but I wanted to share where I was to where I will be going. I would also love to hear any ideas or suggestions all of you amazing people have. I hope you all will follow along, but be warned this is not going to be a fast process as I also work a full-time job.

Current set up. Girls are locked in at night and let out to roam the run in the morning.

IMG_20190804_153523753_HDR.jpg

8x8 Shed that will become the coop. Front view with area to the right that will be the run. Approximately 8x12 area.

IMG_20190804_153602517_HDR.jpg

Right side, left side and back

IMG_20190804_153614165.jpg

IMG_20190804_153650855.jpg

IMG_20190804_153629209_HDR.jpg

Inside pics, with all the crap :oops:

IMG_20190804_153722750.jpg

IMG_20190804_153712694.jpg

IMG_20190804_153718430.jpg

I plan to cover the run area off to the right and put in a poop door there that would be accessible to open and close from outside the run. It will also be built with hardware cloth and 2x4's. I will also add a hardware cloth skirting. The loft area is about 4x8 feet. That's where I will add the roosts. I want to attach the nesting boxes from the old coop on the outside for easy access's, just not sure where? I want this all done before fall, so wish me luck, share your ideas and follow along if you would like.

First thing I see is a lack of draft free ventilation up high. It's going to be hard to do with that loft up that high. It would be a lot easier to clean the poop if the loft was lower and no more than 30" deep.

This is my new poop table with roost and junk...
View attachment 1868267

JT

That makes a lot of sense, by adding roosts that would put them right in line with drafts. I think taking out the loft and re-configuring it would be a good idea. Thank you

Ok so I have 3 pullets left in my current set-up. I had 4 but lost one to what now looks like a skunk. I trapped the skunk and it is now coyote food far, far away. I have been thinking of doing this for some time, but losing one of my girls has put my butt in high gear. Today I spent the day clearing out another shed to make room for the things we will be keeping from this shed that will become the new coop.

So now come the pics. I know that my current set-up is not good enough, but I wanted to share where I was to where I will be going. I would also love to hear any ideas or suggestions all of you amazing people have. I hope you all will follow along, but be warned this is not going to be a fast process as I also work a full-time job.

Current set up. Girls are locked in at night and let out to roam the run in the morning.

View attachment 1868166

8x8 Shed that will become the coop. Front view with area to the right that will be the run. Approximately 8x12 area.

View attachment 1868183
Right side, left side and back

View attachment 1868185
View attachment 1868186
View attachment 1868189
Inside pics, with all the crap :oops:

View attachment 1868191
View attachment 1868192
View attachment 1868193

I plan to cover the run area off to the right and put in a poop door there that would be accessible to open and close from outside the run. It will also be built with hardware cloth and 2x4's. I will also add a hardware cloth skirting. The loft area is about 4x8 feet. That's where I will add the roosts. I want to attach the nesting boxes from the old coop on the outside for easy access's, just not sure where? I want this all done before fall, so wish me luck, share your ideas and follow along if you would like.

That shed is an awesome start for your new coop! It already has great overhangs all the way around.

I recently "finished" (I have yet to install my windows) my shed to coop conversion and the article. You can skim through it for ideas.
I would remove the loft but keep the lumber from it to make into your poop board.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-mulligan.74743/

I would replace the rolled roofing(nice roof overhangs!),
then totally strip out the interior down to the studs and rafters.
Get some graph paper and start working out a floor plan.

Yes the rolled roof definitely needs replaced. I'm not sure I want to gut it, as I like the fact that it is already drywalled. But I will remove the loft thing. I also need to tear apart the windows to see how the Plexiglas is held in there. Then replace that with hardware cloth and repurpose the glass to make hinged windows I can open and close. I'm trying to keep this as low priced as I can.

Yes the rolled roof definitely needs replaced. I'm not sure I want to gut it, as I like the fact that it is already drywalled. But I will remove the loft thing. I also need to tear apart the windows to see how the Plexiglas is held in there. Then replace that with hardware cloth and repurpose the glass to make hinged windows I can open and close. I'm trying to keep this as low priced as I can.
Why do you want dry wall in a chicken coop?
The double walls, maybe insulated, are of no real advantage, other than a 'clean look'.
Good habitat for rodents and other pests.
Tearing out the ceiling would give excellent access to the soffit are for ventilation.
Another good reason to remove the interior walls is in case moisture has gotten inside creating mold issues, both the roof and siding looks pretty worn.
So much easier to do it know, than later.

The windows may be able to be top hinged for another excellent ventilation option.
I was able to do this with my shed reno, removed some stop framing, added hinges to the tops, and HC inside for predator protection.

Why do you want dry wall in a chicken coop?
The double walls, maybe insulated, are of no real advantage, other than a 'clean look'.
Good habitat for rodents and other pests.
Tearing out the ceiling would give excellent access to the soffit are for ventilation.
Another good reason to remove the interior walls is in case moisture has gotten inside creating mold issues, both the roof and siding looks pretty worn.
So much easier to do it know, than later.

The windows may be able to be top hinged for another excellent ventilation option.
I was able to do this with my shed reno, removed some stop framing, added hinges to the tops, and HC inside for predator protection.

Well yes I was thinking about the clean look and also the insulation factor. But now since my daughter and I sweated our butts of getting it cleaned out I can see where water has leaked in on the walls and ceiling and you are so very correct on possible mold. I just took my husband out to see what we have done and told him now I need to gut it, He ask "gut what and why?" I told him the drywall and he said "Oh my god" and walked away. Looks like I have his support :barnie
Oh well I am going to do whatever I have to, to keep my chickens safe and happy. I think he's jealous:idunno

Ok so now onto pics.....

IMG_20190805_185819971.jpg

IMG_20190805_185812922.jpg

IMG_20190805_185805724.jpg

IMG_20190805_185827420.jpg

The pile of stuff is just somethings that have to come into the house so we can decide what to keep and what to throw. Really didn't think I'd get this far so soon, but thanks to the greatest 17 yr old daughter , we got it done!

I see lots of lumber there that can be reused.
Not just the 'loft' but all that trim used to cover drywall seams might make great HC lath.
Gut it and fix the roof....hopefully there's no structural rot. Floor looks decent.
Not sure about the siding, caulk and some alot of good paint might do the trick there, the large roof overhangs probably really helped protect the siding.

Back
Top Bottom