1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

turning,anybody home?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by skeeter, Nov 19, 2007.

1. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    I know the eggs need to be turned at least 3 times a day but I have to go out of town,will it hurt them if they set for a couple of days without being turned,it will be day 14 and 15 maybe only 11/2 days,thanks

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The most critical time for turning is days 4-14. I think you'll be ok for that short time span.

Jody

3. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Jody, why is the most critical time between 4 & 14? Not trying to be cute--I have 40 in the incubator now, and am curious. Had never heard that.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My guess is that the first few days, the embryo is still small enough that if you start turning, it will work it's way off from the shell. That being said though, I find a greater incidence of defects in 2 day old embryos that were not turned vs turned.

5. jazzchicken

jazzchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2007
    Georgia
    I have heard that the eggs are most critical in the first week and a half. I will be away from eggs for a day for thanksgiving too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by