Turning/Carton/Heat questions

spook

Songster
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
North Central Florida
Well, today I recieved my eggs in the mail, having placed them in egg cartons in the incubator, it wasn't going to work, so using the egg carton covers, I leaned all the eggs forward on the point end..here is the question, when you turn eggs in the cartons, you tip them 45* several times a day, seeings I am not tipping by the whole carton, only leaning them forward and backwards, is this going to be enough for the embryo's?
I read that you just cannot turn end over end with carton hatching or the chick can come to the point to hatch.
Also, my incubator is hanging at 99F having a hard time of 100 or 101, can this be a bad thing? (old timers claim 99F is best for females)

I'm right in understanding that you already have them in the incubator?? I'm wrapping up my first-ever hatch (tomorrow is day 21), so I'm by no means a pro. However, everything I've read says you should not put shipped eggs straight in the bator as soon as you receive them. If you haven't started them, wait at least 24 hours for the eggs to "settle".

Anyway, if they're already in the bator, just go from here--can't go back now. I have an auto. turner on by bator, and it just barely tilts the egg from side to side. Kinda' like the slash--from this side \\ to this this side / slowly throughout the day. Hope that makes sense--it sounds like what you're doing will be sufficient.

As far as the temp., did you run the incubator for day or two before putting the eggs in there? If you did and it was stable before the eggs, then it is probably just because you put cool eggs in there. It will take several hours for it to level out. If you just turned the bator on when you put the eggs in there, then just keep making very slight adjustments until it gets up to the right temp. Only adjust up a little at time, waiting at least 30 min before adjusting again.

I don't know anything about the temp. producing females--I thought that was all determined way before incubation started....maybe not??? That would definitely be something interesting to research!

Im new to but I will say atm 99 should be ok while the eggs come up to temp if you adjust up befor its all leveled off again you could have a temp spike tonight or tammorw possibly.
As far as I know the temp for boys and girls thing is only for some reptiles and anphimbains.
Someoone that knows more will help you out soon I am shure.
Good luck

Quote:
Yes, I agree--don't make adjustments tonight if you're not planning on staying up pretty late to make sure it is level or getting up during the night to check it. I'm a night-owl, so I don't think about people actually going to bed at a normal hour!
lol.png

Quote:
Apparently my first ever hatch (12 years ago) was a night-owl, too! It's a good thing we homeschool--my oldest son will stay up all night if I let him. We'll probably be up all night waiting to see what our little "Pip" does.
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom