Turning corn into feed.

chicken_angler

Coop Constructist
11 Years
Jun 23, 2008
a house
My dad just brought home a big bag of fresh corn. Long story short-My parents dont want to eat it. I am guessing there is about 2 dozen ears of corn and it is still in the leaves and is about 3 days old. I was wondering if there was any way that i could turn it into food for my chickens because the cost of food keeps going up and up.If it is not enough corn, I can go across the street and get some more from the farmers market. Please let me know if there is anyway to turn it into feed! Thanks-chickenman8

I think you can just husk it and give the corn on the cob to them. they will peck it off the cob. I have never had any problem with it. Of course I still feed the chickens their regular feed. This is just a good treat for them.

Just pull the husks back (in a handle) and throw it in. Mine LOVE corn on the cob. Plus as a bonus they like to eat the bugs that come after the husks. I have all of my relatives save the cobs even after they eat the corn off.

Last edited:
i give it to them as a treat. I only have 4 chickens so cut the cob into several sections and only give one a day so they don't get fat.

If you have too much and it will go off before you can use it up, cut the kernels off and freeze them to use later.

I wouldn't use it as their main feed though.

If you don't want to freeze it, you can try drying it like this:

*To oven dry corn, plunge the freshly picked ears into boiling water for five minutes. Then dunk them into cold water. When cool enough to handle, cut the corn off the cob. Spread it out on large trays, preferably enamel, some home dryers say. The corn can be one to 1 1/2 inches in depth on the trays. Place them in a warm oven, about 150 degrees F. and leave them until the corn is thoroughly and rather brittle.

*If you have a wood burning stove, you can dry corn on the back of the stove or in the warming oven. You will want to stir it occasionally so it dries evenly.

*With a food dehydrator, follow the directions for drying corn that come with it.

*Store the corn in glass jars, plastic bags, plastic containers ,or clean coffee or shortening cans with tight fitting lids.

Actual chicken feed is made from field type corn, not the corn we eat. I thought that might have been what you were asking.

Your best option would be just to keep it cool and feed them ears like the others have said.

Back
Top Bottom