Turning doghouse into coop

sepulvd

Hatching
Mar 21, 2015
Well my two daughters want a chicken coop. I currently have a dog house that is 37×37×50 inches.is that big enough for 3 to 4 hens. Also I'll we be adding a door on the left side for cleaning and a nesting box on the right side. Please give me any ideas.
8b0ca8747f5ec48eda750ffb433b7a6b.jpg

That is only 9 sq ft of floor space. I'd say 2 would be comfortable, 3 would be okay, but 4 would be pushing it. Are they going to free range or are you building a run for them? If you put 3 in that size, make sure you have plenty of space in the run.

No I was gonna make a maybe 7ft x 4ft. I thinking about silkies or what other variety do you think. I am looking for eggs layers

No I was gonna make a maybe 7ft x 4ft. I thinking about silkies or what other variety do you think. I am looking for eggs layers
I would make the run out of 12 ft lumber you could get a 4x8 run with no wasted material. If you want eggs go with 2 standard chickens or 3 bantams,make it as big as possible the first time because it is a pain to add on later.

We did this with a large doghouse. Bigger is better you wont want only 2-3 for long! Chickens are addictive! We keep our silkies in ours because they do not roost so they can just lay on the floor!

Thanks for the ideas. I won't do more then 3-4 soo for now it will be 3. Now I just have to start building a nesting box.

Back
Top Bottom