Turning down the thermostat this winter?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by JennsPeeps, Oct 7, 2008.

1. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    i feel for everyone up north. we live in louisiana. the place we bought already had gas. so we had to use the propane tank! the minimum you can buy is 75 gallons that was $ 222.00 (rounding up with the change) (when we first bought this place it was costing us for 75 gal. $ 178) we have to have about 2 deliveries to make it through the winter in central La.)

when i was growing up i had to put on more clothes or have a blanket while in the living room. we used electric blankets at night. and the heat was cut down. we had gas and that is the way my mom liked it.

i had a house with a woodstove, wish i knew what type but it was already there. you could really heat the house with it! we have been checking out soapstone stoves. my husband wants one.

i want to get heated mattress pads for our beds. i think that would be better than blankets. anyone used the electric mattress pads?

another thing, has anyone seen these boxes that heat. they are usually in the back of magazines. uses copper tubing? ever had one? thought about getting one to heat half the house to cut down on the propane at least during the day.

wendy

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

We've heated with a wood stove for 30+ years so I don't plan on doing anything different.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    wendy...i use a heated mattress pad in the winter also..i love it!..its so nice to get into a warm(not hot) snuggly bed at night in the winter.[​IMG]

4. wishin4chicken

wishin4chicken Songster

Jun 20, 2008
    Hayden Lake, Idaho
    We have baseboard electric heat that we use sparingly. Fortunately, we live on acreage with just enough dead trees that should be removed each year to keep us in firewood for the two woodstoves in the house. Last year we kept the temps between 60-65 and felt comfortable in that range. Gives me a great excuse to knit wool socks and sweaters. Crazy me. I love this time of year!!

Michele.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Wendy...you're lucky the minimum is 75 gallons. Here it's 200 gal minimum. Luckily we only use it for the hot water heater so it lasts a long time.

6. joyful-homemaker

joyful-homemaker Songster

Jul 11, 2007
    central ohio
    we heat with a propane furnace and will be keeping it lower this winter (around 65). We have an electric fireplace we run and it actually heats the entire downstairs well because of the open floorplan of this house. We cant have a wood stove because our 5 year old is severly alergic to smoke.

joyful homemaker

7. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:200 gallons OMG!!! [​IMG] i would just pass out when i opened that bill [​IMG]

do you have to pay that in one payment? [​IMG]

they let us split ours in half. well anyone can that has good standing with them.

wendy

8. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I heard a wood burner will hike the homeowners insurance big time.

9. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:what kind of electric fireplace do you have? we have looked at those too. there are so many to choose from now and some many sizes!

wendy

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:200 gallons OMG!!! [​IMG] i would just pass out when i opened that bill [​IMG]

do you have to pay that in one payment? [​IMG]

they let us split ours in half. well anyone can that has good standing with them.

wendy

Yep you have to pay it in one payment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: