Turning down the thermostat this winter?

Seems it's 6 of one or half dozen of the other. I spend a fortune on air conditioning in the summer too.

Then of course the fans for the chickens.........
th.gif

I guess my goal this winter is to see how comfortable we can become with lower temps. After keeping the house at 67 last winter even 68 seemed hot. Weird.

Our 30 yr old oil furnace died 3 yrs ago and we put in a wood furnace. I tied it into the existing duct work and chimney. We have an abundant supply of wood that I bring home almost every day from my tree trimming business. So fortunately for us, we don't need to turn the heat down. The last year we used oil, we went through 3 - 275 gal. tanks. I really don't know where we could cut cost's if we had to buy oil to heat this old uninsulated house.
We built our first fire of the season last night when the thermometer dipped to 34*.

We don't heat much in the winter, our big energy draw is cooling. We generally cool to 78 with 75 at night. During the winter be hear to 68 during the day and 65 during the night. I would go cooler at night because I love sleeping in a cold room; but my totally Texan children get too cold. The only time it feels to cool is when we watch TV, but we always have blankets handy. The cat loves it when the blankets come out, she likes a warm lap under a blanket.

I havent turned on my furnace yet and it was 39 outside when we woke up this morning. I purchased an small electric heater a few weeks ago that looks like a small wood stove and its been keeping the chill off in here very well. It says it costs just a few cents per hour to run and I figure Im on a budget with my electric and not my oil. The oil man told me a couple weeks ago that the price of oil is down but this morning I read that its going back up in a big way.
sad.png

This is the heater. We have what had been a double wide trailer and placed in the living room it does a good job.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/...IMPLEX&parentPage=search&searchId=36660377404

Back
Top Bottom