1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turning eggs....... A few questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by juliaaa, Feb 16, 2012.

1. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    So it JUST dawned on me that I have to turn the eggs and don't know how to turn them without opening the incubator. I was told by someone to never open it but to candle the eggs. And even when I go to candle them I should just take one out at a time.

The problem is I have 39 eggs in there and it will take me more than a quick second to turn them... Any advice? Or am I freaking out over nothing?

What is the best way to do it?

I have them marked with x's and o's for turning

Confused about turning them without opening the incubator though.

I'm sure I repeated myself but it is hard to concentrate with a screaming/teething kid in your arms.

2. jt813

jt813 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    if you want ive tried this before and it worked ok turn the temp up a couple of degrees then open the incubator and turn as fast and as gentle as you can hope this works for you good luck let me know what happens

3. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    First of all don't fiddle with your temperature. You set it before you put the eggs in, leave it alone.
    There is nothing wrong with opening your incubator to turn the eggs. The eggs won't cool down enough to matter.
    You don't have to rush, just set the lid aside and do it.
    The time you don't want to open the incubator is during lockdown after day 18.

4. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    Well that makes me feel a lot better. I was super worried about opening it to turn them. I keep reassuring myself that I'm doing at least as good as a broody hen. :) I'm glad I don't have to rush turning them. I was super nervous the first time and felt like there was no way I could do it fast enough. Now I feel a lot better doing it and feel like I'm doing a good job. We soon will tell when I candle them :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by