1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

turning eggs in the new dasp 'bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MrsEison, Jan 11, 2013.

1. MrsEison

MrsEison Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2012
    the new dasp incubator says you dont have to turn the eggs as "it is a small batch hatch" or something like that, anyway it says you dont have to turn them. it only hatches 7 eggs at a time but still..............?? I want to get one for my kindergarten class and wont be able to turn them on weekends so was just wondering.

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    All eggs need turned. Did you see that bator on Craig's list? If you won't be there I would go with the brinsea mini advanced

3. Pancholoco

Pancholoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    Sin, MX. now CA.
    Are you talking about Rcom mini?

4. MrsEison

Jul 17, 2012
    I'm not sure, it was the little one from Dasp.

5. Dasp

Dasp Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2012
    Simi valley
    Hello MrsEison,

Normally when incubating eggs you do move them around or side to side or give them an entire flip when laying sideways.

But nevertheless there are folks who have good hatch rates without turning eggs.

We ourselves have hatched eggs with the mini Dasp incubator by turning the eggs from side to side

and by leaving them alone and just making sure the temperature and humidity were carefully monitored.

The mini incubator has a capacity of 7 eggs, All though works best with 6 to not cause any overcrowding as with most incubators

it is not recommended to do the full capacity no matter what size the incubator is large or small.

Therefore, If you are manually turning the eggs every day besides on the weekends you should be ok with that.

As long as you carefully ensure the temperature is not dropping at night and the humidity is carefully controlled you will have a hatchrate.

We have had reviews from customers who have had a 100% hatch rate with their own fertile eggs and about a 60-80% hatch rate with eggs they purchased online and had them shipped before incubation.

If you have any questions you are more than welcome to visit our site and we will be happy to assist you with any questions you may have regarding how to incubator or send us a message through BYC.

Hope this helps!

Regards

6. MrsEison

Jul 17, 2012
    Thanks so much for the info!! Kindergarten class would LOVE this! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by