Turning eggs- to turn or not to turn

[email protected]

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 4, 2012
Washougal, WA
so I've heard the reason that you need to turn your eggs is so the yoke doesn't stick to one side. so if you put them strait up in a egg carton inside a incubator would you still need to turn your eggs (since the eggs wouldn't be tilted to one side)?

I have put them in the carton and let sit for 21 days and get around 50% or more to hatch but when I use the turner I get around 95%. It works both ways just like water or no water.
so I've heard the reason that you need to turn your eggs is so the yoke doesn't stick to one side. so if you put them strait up in a egg carton inside a incubator would you still need to turn your eggs (since the eggs wouldn't be tilted to one side)?

This came from Breckenridge farms
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Turning or rotating of eggs in your incubator is critical. When a hen incubates her own eggs, she turns them approximately every eighteen to thirty minutes. The reason turning is so important is that at the start of incubation the embryo (called a germ at this stage) appears in a small white spot (called the germinal disc) on the upper side of the yolk. It tends to float upward each time the egg is turned. The embryo takes its nutrients from the yolk. Each time the egg is turned the embryo is exposed to a new portion of the yolk, and thus has a continual supply of nutrients. Failure to turn the eggs deprives the embryo of the necessary nutrients and and can cause serious malnutrition, weak chicks and can even cause an embryo to die in the shell.[/FONT]

This makes lots of sense. I'm glad I bit the bullet and got an incubator with an egg turner. Can't wait for it to come in. Hopefully before the eggs come this Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom