Turning eggs too much

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 4-H chicken mom, Feb 6, 2008.

1. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I keep reading about turning your eggs about 3-5 times a day. Is there such a thing as turning them too much? I was turning mine around 8 times. The humidity would only drop 1-2% when turning, but was right back up within 10 minutes. Just wondering if it makes a difference? I have eggs going again. [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I never turn mine more than 3 times a day...it does need to be odd times turning not even to help the embryo not stick to the shell...some turn 5 times...turning more than that I think upsets your temps and humidity too much...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  3. karri25

karri25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    I am not sure but...I have read to turn around 3-5 times and to make sure that you turn them amn odd # of times. So turn 3 or 5 times a day. I don't think you should have to turn them more than that. I turn mine around 3 times a day. Breakfast, luch. and dinner. It's easy for m eto remember that way. I don't have an auto turner. But there have been times when I only turn once a day and all of mine have hatched just fine.
    Good luck!

4. RepoBob

RepoBob Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm using a styrofoam Hoovabator, and have the eggs in egg cartoons. I lift one side or the other three times a day. I raise it up about 3 inches. I'm using folded up paper towels for humidity. It seems to be working ok. This is my first time, so this is all theory for me [​IMG]

Bob

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

When I turn by hand I turn 3x a day... when I sit next to the egg turner, it rotates the eggs every 60-90 min....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by