Turning eggs

I believe 3 times a day. You can also mark 3 sides of the egg with a pencil: L,M,R (left, middle, ad right). So you can keep track of which side is which.

I'm gonna try and incubate 3 silkie eggs. I have to turn them myself, so my question is, how often do you have to turn them ? I know to do it an odd number of times, just not how many times.
Studies have proven that the more times an egg is turned daily, the better it is for the egg. Three times a day is considered the minimum number of times to turn them. The old GQF cabinet incubators auto turn the eggs once every three hours. The new models turn them once every hour.

@ChickenLeg is right about marking the eggs and the other thing to be sure about is to alternate which direction that you turn the eggs. Do not constantly turn them in the same direction.

Last edited:
Studies have proven that the more times an egg is turned daily, the better it is for the egg. Three times a day is considered the minimum number of time to turn them. The old GQF cabinet incubators auto turn the eggs once every three hours. The new models turn them once every hour.

@ChickenLeg is right about marking the eggs and the other thing to be sure about is to alternate which direction that you turn the eggs. Do not constantly turn them in the same direction.
Thats why I have auto turners ;)

Hmmmm I am doing a first time incubation with manual turning. The first 3 days have had the eggs turned morning and night, all in one direction 180*. If I change things up now, think things will be ok?

Hmmmm I am doing a first time incubation with manual turning. The first 3 days have had the eggs turned morning and night, all in one direction 180*. If I change things up now, think things will be ok?
The sooner you start doing it right the better.

Hatching Eggs 101 by @Sally Sunshine has everything that you need to know and even more.

I'm gonna try and incubate 3 silkie eggs. I have to turn them myself, so my question is, how often do you have to turn them ? I know to do it an odd number of times, just not how many times.
I don’t know what the minimum or maximum recommendation is for incubator eggs, but I have had a few broodies sitting on eggs in my house where I can watch them and not so good, hear them at night.:(
A rough average I’ve noted is every three quarters of an hour.
EDIT; They tend to turn the eggs more for the first three or four days and as you will know, don't turn them at all for the final three.

Back
Top Bottom