turning eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mom'sfolly, Nov 29, 2007.

1. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I'm going to be starting the first hatch soon, so I'll start with the thousands of questions now. Do eggs have to be turned completely over, or only about 45 degrees? What I'm thinking of is placing the eggs in a carton, air cell side up and then hand turning them. I thought I would use a wooden wedge (sort of like a door stop) under one side of the carton, and then shift it to the other side. This would be quicker than turning each egg. Would this be enough turning?? This is the first of what will surely be many questions.

Thanks

Karen

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have always place my eggs down in the bator and hand turned..just like under a hen..no turner for this current incubator I have...I turn 3 times a day and put a X and an O on the opposite side of each other and turn from one to the other...I have always had good hatches this way...not sure if you will get good air circulation in a carton..my two cents.....

I'm sure you will get lots of opinions on what works for everyone that hatches eggs....

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i also set mine flat marked with an x and turn them 180 degrees 5 times a day been having hatches in the 90 % range hatch

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2007
  4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

45% is enough for turning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by