turning eggs

true, vaulted skulls doesn't affect every bird. but (at least around here) about 75% have been crossed with polish, and silkies are a weaker breed anyways so separating them from other birds will always help with livability.

I can only speak for my own flock, but vaulted skulls affects about 45-50%. that's a quick way to lose about half of them if you mix them with aggressive young chicks.

From all the information I have read even automatica incubator s turn the eggs fives times I turn my eggs every 8 hours
my automatic turners turn every 2 hours (gqf and hovabator). on the "inventions" thread I put a simple diagram on making a timer for your own turner. 8 hours or 3 times a day is great.

I have an important question... I was put in charge of a hatching project at the high school and our incubator will be staying at the school. we do not have an automatic turner and it dawned on me that nobody will be there to turn them over during the weekend. If someone (probably me) turns them once in the morning, once at about noon, and once around the time school ends (about 3:30) I think they should be fine, but if nobody is there to turn them on saturdays and sundays, will they be okay? will it cause any type of complications?

Also, it was suggested to put the incubator in the greenhouse or the outdoor classroom (literally a classroom that is not connected to the school, it is connected to the greenhouse and both have electricity). I am pretty sure the classroom doesn't have heating, so will that affect the hatch in any way? If we do it in there, I could ask for a key to only that classroom or the greenhouse to turn them over the weekend, but who knows if I could be given the permission to do so. We plan on getting the eggs by the end of this week, so I would like to know ASAP whether the eggs will be fine over the weekend, or if I should find some way to turn them.

I have an important question... I was put in charge of a hatching project at the high school and our incubator will be staying at the school. we do not have an automatic turner and it dawned on me that nobody will be there to turn them over during the weekend. If someone (probably me) turns them once in the morning, once at about noon, and once around the time school ends (about 3:30) I think they should be fine, but if nobody is there to turn them on saturdays and sundays, will they be okay? will it cause any type of complications? 

Also, it was suggested to put the incubator in the greenhouse or the outdoor classroom (literally a classroom that is not connected to the school, it is connected to the greenhouse and both have electricity). I am pretty sure the classroom doesn't have heating, so will that affect the hatch in any way? If we do it in there, I could ask for a key to only that classroom or the greenhouse to turn them over the weekend, but who knows if I could be given the permission to do so. We plan on getting the eggs by the end of this week, so I would like to know ASAP whether the eggs will be fine over the weekend, or if I should find some way to turn them.

Would you be able to take them home for the weekend. If the trip from the school to home isn't too long, it should be ok. As the hen gets off the nest and the eggs get a natural cool down. You could also use an inverter in you vehicle. It is very important to turn the eggs at least 3 times daily on days 1 thru 18.
Good luck.

Would you be able to take them home for the weekend. If the trip from the school to home isn't too long, it should be ok. As the hen gets off the nest and the eggs get a natural cool down. You could also use an inverter in you vehicle. It is very important to turn the eggs at least 3 times daily on days 1 thru 18.
Good luck.
My house is only a couple blocks away from the school but it will be a hassle to take them home and bring them back, especially since we are in the process of moving... I'm wondering if I can borrow an egg turner from my friend who is a breeder... The incubator we're using is one we borrowed from the elementary school, where they used to hatch a batch in each second grade class every spring, and I don't think they brought them all home during the weekend, and they didn't have turners. I emailed one of the teachers, but she hasn't gotten back to me yet... So there is definitely no way we can go two days a week without turning them? Does anyone know what the consequences of that may be?

My house is only a couple blocks away from the school but it will be a hassle to take them home and bring them back, especially since we are in the process of moving... I'm wondering if I can borrow an egg turner from my friend who is a breeder... The incubator we're using is one we borrowed from the elementary school, where they used to hatch a batch in each second grade class every spring, and I don't think they brought them all home during the weekend, and they didn't have turners. I emailed one of the teachers, but she hasn't gotten back to me yet... So there is definitely no way we can go two days a week without turning them? Does anyone know what the consequences of that may be?

Borrowing a turner would help alot. Turning exercises the embryo, keeps it centered and prevents sticking to the side of the shell.

Back
Top Bottom