Turning floor waterers into hanging ones....possible??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Frozen Feathers, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I have a bunch of those little waterers that you set on the floor in my Silkie coop and in my brooder and somehow they always manage to poop in them or clog them up with shavings.
    If I took an eye- hook and screwed it in the top would the waterers still work or would the water leak out all over the place?? Sounds like it would work to me, but want to get every one else's opinions before I go and possibly ruin a bunch of waterers.
    These are the types of waterer I'm talking about.

2. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    If you screw an eye hook into the top you'll ruin the vacuum and it will leak. Maybe if you could super glue something to the top to hook a chain or string to...

3. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    I think he's right. I know that my hubby uses Gorilla Glue on his things for hunting and it withstands a lot of abuse and weather. It takes 24 hours to cure and dry but will hold hundreds of pounds.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  4. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Just use a plant hanger (like the macrame ones). That's what I thought I would do - ended up not needing to. You can just use 3 or 4 pieces of rope & suspend......

5. EggCentric

EggCentric Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Ball Ground, Ga
    I took our waterers and just sat them up on cinder blocks. Worked like a charm, no more clogged messes, and the chickens can reach the water fine.

6. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Quote:That's what I did too, but you can also buy hanging waterers. Mine hangs, but we haven't got around to it yet. Blocks are working good...

7. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I will try to glue something on the top, then because I don't want to waste them. My main coop has one of those $$$ hanging waterers and then another rubber grain dish (the shallow ones for horses feed) up on blocks. I was just using the grain dishes because I can pound the ice out in winter, but my word those ducks mess up the water too much and my chickens would have clean water for about 2 seconds before the ducks got too it.

8. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    my friend got old frisbee's and some light chain. put three holes in the frisbee and put the chain through, then connected them at the top and inserted the waterer on top of the frisbee. it's like the rope, except there's more stability because of the frisbee.

9. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Quote:Now that is an ingenious solution...or you can just glue the frisbee to the top of the waterer...excellent solution.

10. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Hanging one from the top by glue or whatever would put too much weight on the base, and there is a possibility the base will come off because of the weight.

Frisbee or some other support for the base sounds would be a better idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by