Turning of Eggs directions

kakhan

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 11, 2012
Pakistan
Dear all,i have been going through many threads and have practically been turning eggs side ways.Here i saw some home made incubator pics and am confused.In some bators i see egg trays and eggs are placed top to bottom,not sideways,will it work?In side ways its sometimes difficult when dozens are placed and chance of cracking when they hit eachother.I have 2 questions:
1)If we place in egg trays up side down and turn them 'down side up" will they hatch?
2)I saw a pic in it there is a little wood placed under one side of the tray and this wood is shifted to other end of the tray when turning is needed.DO we have to flip the egg 180 * of slight movement in other direction will work?
Will be waiting for answers.Thanks.

There are many preferences and way's of laying eggs in incubators/hatching etc along with multitudes of reason's why people favor one over the other. So instead of giving preferences which is what you have probably seen and read, Im going to point out the important facts and you can choose how you do it from there.

1- Hens lay their eggs on the side obviously but they also turn the eggs over 50 times a day.
2 - The purpose of turning the egg is to keep them from sticking to one side.
3 - When laying the egg on a tray and not a turner, they egg should be turned 180 degrees a minimum of 3 times a day.
4- Manufactured egg turners consistently turn the egg from one side to the other, about 1 time per hour.
5 - Some people don't have a turner but choose to tilt their incubator multiple times a day mimicking a turner by putting wood on one side then alternating. This is also fine, but you need to stabilize the eggs so that they don't slide and bump into each other. Some people use egg cartons for that.
6- The air cell which is located in the fat end of the egg needs to be the highest pointe. If an egg is layed on its side, due to the shape, the fat end will naturally rise higher than the skinny end. If you place the eggs in a turner the the pointy end goes down.
7- An air cell at the fatter end maintains the freshness of the egg longer and helps maintain the shape and stability of the interior fluid.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom