turning problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by madi99, May 18, 2012.

1. madi99

madi99 Songster

May 13, 2012
    Long Island, New York
    ok this might sound a little too concerned but this is my first time hatching ( i'm on day 6) and i don't wanna screw anything up... when i turned my eggs earlier in the day i candled them and i guess i put one back in the same side it was on and just noticed before when i was turning them again... it only missed one turning so no permanent damage was done right? thanks!

2. phoenix912

phoenix912 Songster

Jan 7, 2012
    Indiana
    It should be ok. Some times I forget to turn mine and they turn out fine. Just continue with you're turning schedule.

3. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Nope, you'll be fine! I hand turn my eggs because I couldn't justify the cost of an auto turner for what may have turned out to be a one time thing (I'll be setting my third hatch today, but there's still a strong possibility I won't be hatching next year so I still stand by my logic). I turn 3 times a day...most days. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I don't get to come home for lunch, so I only turn twice a day on those days. Also, my second hatch was a staggered hatch that I started before the first one was done, and I didn't want to open the incubator more than I had to during "lock down." So they only got turned twice a day for like days 6-10 (my hatch wasn't great on those eggs, only about 40%, but I think the problem was too low a humidity). Forgetting to turn once at day 6 shouldn't affect your hatch in any way.

4. madi99

madi99 Songster

May 13, 2012
    Long Island, New York
    if i cant get home till like 4 hours after the regular turning time tomorrow is that going to cause more problems?

5. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Songster

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    Mine get turned at random times. I hand turn 80+ eggs. I turn them when I get up in the morning (between 7 & 10 depending on day), sometime mid afternoon (between 2-5), and before I go to bed (between 9 & midnight). So there really isn't a set time schedule. I just try to make sure I turn 3 times a day when possible so they land on the opposite side overnight each night. I've forgotten the evening turn once & the afternoon turn once but didn't worry about it. I know they are getting turned plenty. Turning is just to move the embryo to a different position on the yolk to gather nutrients & to keep it from sticking to the shell.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: