Turning Question

3forfree

Songster
12 Years
Mar 17, 2010
essexville, michigan
I made a bator last year, and had almost a 50% hatch rate hatching 5 out of 12. The bator I made was from a styrofoam cooler, and I turned the eggs that were laying flat 180 degrees three times a day. After the 20 day mark I left them alone.
I modified the old bator to include a turner that will be turned manually. I plan on putting the eggs in a carton, and turning them all at once. I won't be able to turn them as far as the last ones, will this have any effect on them, or do they need to be turned over like I did on the old one? Do the eggs have to be in the carton a certain way, big side up or down, or doesn't it matter. Thanks. One more thing. The eggs will sit upright in the carton, and will be turned side to side, does this matter. Thanks again.

Turning side to side is fine and leaving them in the cartons is fine. Big end up always!
smile.png

When you place them in the carton, put them in pointy side down. As long as you move the carton 45 degrees each time you turn, you will be ok. Auto turners for the Hovas and LGs all turn eggs at 45 degrees. When I used a carton to hatch in, I got a cheap tea light candle holder from walmart for like a dollar. They are made out of glass. I used it to take turns propping one side up at a time. Good luck in your hatch.

If you can't quite make 45 degrees that is still OK.

The object of turning it to keep the yolk from sticking to the side of the shell. Moving it around enough for the yolk to slide up or down will be just fine.

45 degrees is ideal though because that puts a 90* turn 3x per day.

Quote:
I'm sure that it was day 18, it's been awhile and I'm old. My turner will be able to move more than 45 degrees so I'll be ok. Thanks for all the info.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom