Turning the eggs during incubatoin

Well I'm starting my first hatch in my LG 9200. Still air, no turner, nothing fancy. This will be my 3rd incubation but the first 2 were in the LG 9300 with turner no fan though.

What I'm gathering from reading is to roll each egg 180° every 8 hours. To make sure that the eggs get rolled half way over every time put differing marks on opposite long sides of the egg?
Yes. Most people strive for 3 xs a day, more if they can get it in. I actually switched from the aurtomatic turner to hand turning. And I much prefer hand turning. My rates which were always good went up even more when I stopped using the turner. I can't see me go back to using it. I turn 3 and if I can get two more in I'll do 5, but I average 3. I use the 9200 as well, though the fan kit was installed in mine.

Thank you. So far it's been running for 6 hours and holding steady at101 so in the morning I'm adding the eggs. Any suggestions on humidity?
If you aren't in a high altitude and they aren't small bantam sized eggs I'd go low humidity incubation. I almost always run about 30%. If I can do that, (or come close) w/o water I don't add water until day 18. IF it's too dry w/o I add a wet spong and that usuallay holds it around 30%. I monitor my air cells to know if and when to adjust. I use this method: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

I have read all the opinions and i think point the egg down and little tlted at a side and turn the egg 90°, 3 times in day and use 4 different symbols on eggs for ease, correct me if i am wrong ,
Thanks to all

Last edited:
The problem with the way that incubator holds the eggs, is that it will be hard to get an adequate turn if they are point-down. You'll need to tilt the eggs greater than 45 degrees one way and then tip them the opposite way. Spinning them on their vertical axis won't do anything, which (I think) is what a previous poster was trying to say.

Wonder how far they will lean in that shallow base? Will they hit the cover? I think it will be a challenge to get adequate turning unless you can actually lay them down across the cups and turn horizontally.

The more I think about it if you are planning on rotating 180 degrees just save yourself the trouble and don't rotate. 180 degrees doesn't effect the embryo placement. It keeps the same spot on top and it makes no difference if the bubble is pointing East or West, either way it is on the side.

Lay an egg on a table and put an X on the side facing the ceiling. Now roll it over so the X is facing the table/floor.That is a 180 degree turn for a horizontal egg. You don't rotate it so that the pointy end is pointing toward then away from you, which seems to be what you might be talking about.

The question, I thought, was how to turn in an incubator like this.

You can't lay them down, there doesn't seem to be enough room to adequately tilt, and spinning them does nothing.

Would be interesting to see if anyone has success hatching in these, and how they accomplished adequate turning.

Last edited:
Lay an egg on a table and put an X on the side facing the ceiling. Now roll it over so the X is facing the table/floor.That is a 180 degree turn for a horizontal egg. You don't rotate it so that the pointy end is pointing toward then away from you, which seems to be what you might be talking about.
I guess I was looking at it wrong. Either way 90 degrees is better.

The question, I thought, was how to turn in an incubator like this.

You can't lay them down, there doesn't seem to be enough room to adequately tilt, and spinning them does nothing.

Would be interesting to see if anyone has success hatching in these, and how they accomplished adequate turning.
I've seen people use these that tilted the incubator by placing something under one side and then the other.

The controversy ensued because someone felt the need to comment on something they know absolutely nothing about. Turning while they lay down was mentioned as the proper way to turn horizontally would be 180 Degrees and they were told no and kept refering to a vertical turn of tilting by a 90 Deg angle. Apparently they can not separate out the difference between turning horizontally and vertically and in turn felt the need to say that if you were going to turn 180 then you might as well not turn.

I guess I was looking at it wrong. Either way 90 degrees is better.
In verticle turning 90 is the angle you tilt at, not a rotation. In a horizontal egg it is a rotation not an angle. There is a big difference. the egg needs to be rotated from one side to the other, that equals a 180 degree ROTATION. You are TILTING a verticle egg at a 90 degree ANGLE.

Back
Top Bottom