Turning the stinky dirt in the run.

I had sandy dirt(well, still do under the semi-DL)...it was very, very stinky when wet,
both after a rain and even worse during spring snow melt.
Molds are everywhere and the changing environment of a deep litter could cause you problems if a mold bloom happened, it would normally even out if you had the right mix of ingredients, but you might not want to risk that. I don't 'see' mold, but that means nothing for your sensitivity.

I found early on that even tossing down a thin layer of straw can greatly help with the odors, but some mold could happen then too. No one can predict what would work for you in your environment.....a mask might be necessary when working in your run.
Jusst fyi, this spring the run was so muddy that I put down 4 bales of straw. It seemed to work great, but then 2 hens died... enter sour crop and impacted crop. They were ingesting the straw and it was coiling in their crops and clogging up the works. I raked out the straw as fast as I could! Going to try other organic stuff now. :th

I found early on that even tossing down a thin layer of straw can greatly help with the odors,

Jusst fyi, this spring the run was so muddy that I put down 4 bales of straw. It seemed to work great, but then 2 hens died... enter sour crop and impacted crop. They were ingesting the straw and it was coiling in their crops and clogging up the works. I raked out the straw as fast as I could!
Yes, thin layer is key. Too much of any one ingredient can cause problems.

I started with a dirt run, and just toss in dry dead leaves and dried pine needles. We mowed yesterday and the clippings dried in the sun all morning, so my daughter and I collected them and threw them in this morning. We have a lot of rain, and humidity. I haven't had any issues with mold, but I always make sure the grass/leaves/pine needles are completely dry which means we can't gather them in the morning, evening, or within three days of it raining. It isn't quite the deep litter method, but it keeps the stink away and I don't have to scoop the poop from the run.

Back
Top Bottom