Turning the tables on Predators? ** don't read if you're squeamish

I remember as a child my dad selling coon fur (whatever) too bad you cannot do that! Me and my mom use to thaw them out and blow them dry so my dad could sell them! LOL Way to think outside of the box though!

I remember as a child my dad selling coon fur (whatever)  too bad you cannot do that!  Me and my mom use to thaw them out and blow them dry so my dad could sell them! LOL  Way to think outside of the box though!

You can still sell them. Not sure where but you can. I know a woman whose son did a lot of hunting and they saved up all the furs and when they had enough they had her a really pretty full length fur coat made. I'm not really into that sort of thing but I would give them or sell them to somebody that is.

Raccoons and possums trapped on my place get dispatched and thrown into a large crock pot WHOLE. No skinning or gutting. (My chickens have their own personal crock pot in the feed room.) Cook until meat falls off the bone. Free chicken food.

Raccoons and possums trapped on my place get dispatched and thrown into a large crock pot WHOLE. No skinning or gutting. (My chickens have their own personal crock pot in the feed room.) Cook until meat falls off the bone. Free chicken food.

That does sound really gross. I hope we aren't having a crock pot meal for dinner tonight!

You can still sell them. Not sure where but you can. I know a woman whose son did a lot of hunting and they saved up all the furs and when they had enough they had her a really pretty full length fur coat made. I'm not really into that sort of thing but I would give them or sell them to somebody that is.

Yeah back in the day my dad got a lot of money for them. He does not have "coon hunting dogs" any more and around here the sport had kind of died out. I wouldn't want a coat out of them either. Not really my thing. LOL

o.k. I've read through this whole thread hoping to find someone bringing up lice/mites as predators/pests since this is the "Predators and Pests" topic. While I've been concerned about racoons and rodents, etc., I never gave insects a thought or heard of anyone with a problem. I guess people don't talk about that sort of thing much, but now a chicken with lice is so very nasty and gross. I was cleaning the coop and saw some blood droplets from the roost in the morning and freaked out! My daughter helped as we inspected each chicken to see who was hurt. Imagine my surprise when I saw the vent of the poor infested hen. It looked like this:

How do I protect my babies from these predators/pests? It makes my skiin crawl!!! I dusted them all with Sevin because I freaked out and called a friend. Ruined all my $$ spent on organic feed!!! Thought it was only her (checked didn't see them on others) but dusted them all anyway; only to discover a few days later they all now had visible signs. So after 6 hours of on-line research I used wood ash from the fireplace and hand dusted them from neck to legs after first washing off their feet, drying and applying coconut oil to feet and legs to keep ash out. Then went out to get a good heavy duty plastic tub and lid for sand and wood ash. Had to put the sand on trays in the oven to dry it out; let it cool mix some together and put into the tractor. I hope this helps... They are in my daughter's hands now for a couple days. I am still worried. Took me 6 hours to set-up, thoroughly dust them down to skin, and clean up. I hope I don't have to do it again when I get home. I keep the tractor very clean. How the H*ll did they get lice?! (and maybe mites?) I'm going to be eating lots of chicken soon if it doesn't clear up! Any suggestions. I love them dearly, but...

Yeah back in the day my dad got a lot of money for them.  He does not have "coon hunting dogs" any more and around here the sport had kind of died out.  I wouldn't want a coat out of them either.  Not really my thing. LOL

Nah, I prefer washable everything because I tend to get dirty. LOL A fur vest might be alright. Through the southeast (maybe Kentucky down to Florida/Arkansas over to the Carolinas) there is still some coon clubs. I've been to big coon hunting competitions where people came from all around with their dogs- HIGH PRICED DOGS! I tell ya, it is a serious thing. Some of those dogs are worth thousands of dollars. I've stayed at hotels where some of those coon hunters stayed with their dogs during a competition. Yuck! lol They leave a stinking room behind. Had to ask to change rooms.

Back
Top Bottom