turning them loose

patrolman490

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Hello, I have six , six week old chicks that are doing well and enclosed in a 10X6 run and 4X6 coop. (pict enclosed)
I was thinking of letting them have the run of the yard while I am home and was wondering the best way to train them so that they will come in at dusk. I don't want to have to chase them around to get them back in. Will they come in on their own or do I have to train them with treats and things.

Thank you

Unless your birds are mentally deficient, they'll go in on their own. Thats assuming that they know the coop is home. Mine all go in at dusk, no chasing, no worries.

Last edited:
I keep my locked up in their run/coop for a couple of weeks so they figure out where their "bedroom" is and they have all done great at returning at dusk. I dont imagine you will have any problems.
big_smile.png

For the chicks first week I keep them shut in their coop. I let them out into their run at two weeks. I don't let them out into the yard until they are 12 to 14 weeks as the hens are out. At about 12/14 weeks I let the chicks out into the yard for awhile while the hens are shut in their run and after the pullets have been out for awhile I put them back into their run and let the hens out for the rest of the day. They all go into their coops at night. I shut the pullets in their coop but I have an electric fence around the hen’s house, run and yard so I don't shut their pop door but they are always in their coops before dark.

Last edited:
When I let my five chicks out to free range, I stand in the coop door with treats and tap on the door sill, calling to them and shaking the treat cup. Usually, it will only take getting the attention of one of the chickens; once one chicken comes running, they all do.

I move them from the coop/run to their tractor in the morning by picking up one chicken and putting her in the tractor. Usually I'll have to pick up a second chicken and put her in the tractor, but by the time there are two of them in there, the others start thinking that they're missing out on something, so they come running and pop themselves in the tractor door.

It's getting to be a routine, and each day it gets easier because the chickens know what to expect.

Back
Top Bottom