turnips for feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by birdy_num_nums, Oct 2, 2009.

1. birdy_num_nums

birdy_num_nums Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    Thinking of growing some turnips for not only the greens but the turnips themselves as feed for my chooks.

Will hens eat turnips? Will turnips be a good feed for them in addition to the organic layer feed I have available to them?

2. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
  3. birdy_num_nums

birdy_num_nums Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    Thank you so much! I checked everywhere except the treat chart [​IMG] Thank you for the link!!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  4. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

I put a turnip in with my meaties and they wouldn't touch it... Thier only 3 weeks though..

5. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

This may not be true, but it is what I was told...

My Mom said someone in the family didn't have lots to feed their hogs, so fed them turnips in the winter, and the hog or hogs froze to death! Turnips are basically water, with little nutritional value for a chicken. Sorry, but I don't think this will work that well for you. If you have a place to plant a garden though, next year try planting them some pumpkins! Acorn, and butternut squash store really well, and I'm sure both the family and the chickens would enjoy those in the middle of the winter.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Grains or sunflower seeds are just as easy to grow and provide more energy. Just clear a chunk of yard or garden, throw down seed thickly, water, and wait. Come fall you have chicken food and it will store longer than vegetables. For sunflowers you can buy a 50lb bag of seed for cheap this fall to plant next spring and then cut the heads off when they are ready to harvest and store or throw the whole thing in the chicken run as is. I've also cut large patches of oats or even grass after it's gone to seed from our field and given to the chickens still on the stalks. Lots of calories to keep chickens warm all winter.

No single food should replace too much of your poultry feed. Even a mix of foods shouldn't unless you have done plenty of research and come up with a balanced feed to give them everything they need.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Read Laura Ingalls Wailder's On the Banks of Plum Creek. She writes that her Ma gave the hens and pullets a "turnip to peck at."

8. 2chickenrich

2chickenrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    Perry, Georgia
    We plant turnips mustard and collards for winter garden we give chickens at least 1 to 2 buckets a week most is just greens and small roots they love them

9. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    My hens wouldn't touch the turnip greens or the turnips. Loved the carrot tops and beet tops and tomatoes, squash.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by