Turns out I bought the really medicated feed- what to do with it?

Kiraeh

Songster
Jun 8, 2020
PEI Canada
Well, the bag of chick crumble is getting low and my regular feed store was closed so I went around the corner to the other feed store this time. They had a 17% and a 23% chick starter. The crumble I've been using is a 20%, medicated with amprolium, it's been great but why not try something new. Delighted to have a higher protein option I went for the 23, and scooted home in the heat.
So, it turns out to be a mash, which is fine. But it's also waaaay medicated. Should have figured the high protein was going to be the broiler stuff. The cocci med is toxic to dogs, and the antibiotic seems to be intended for a problem that only a Cornishx would get. I guess that's my lesson to never buy anything without asking to see the tag.
IMG_20200710_165550.jpg

Can I feed this to my chickens at all? I sure seems like not. I have a group of two week olds, a half dozen at 9/12 weeks that I have reluctantly switched to a 16% grower feed, since the crusty old cashier at the feed store gave me a blank stare when I asked for anything higher. And 18 eggs incubating. So if this feed is usable I'll be able to use it, even if I'll have to be real careful with it around my dogs.
I have an aunt raising Cornishx, I should be able to pass it off to her otherwise.

What else can I ask for if I want a higher protein feed? I'd much rather feed the best ration I can get than the bare minimum, and it's looking like I'll have a fairly ornamental flock with silkies, frizzles, and polish. I want feather health and no extra incentive for aggression and feather picking, and a good feed is pretty critical to that. There's no catalogue for these feed stores, you have to just negotiate with whoever's on cash and what they think you should get, it's a huge pain.
Would there be any reason not to ask for a turkey or game bird feed? Do I need to tell them a story about having fancy show chickens to break out of the layer/broiler dichotomy?

I've never heard of Monensin until now.
FDA Approved
Seems it is toxic to horses too at cattle and goat doses. That article doesn't mention poultry.

I have fed a bag of BMD medicated to my chicks because I got the wrong feed too and they made it just fine. I think I remember reading it was supposed to be hard on their kidneys.

If you are worried about feeding it, buy a bag of 16% feed and mix the two 50/50. Then you will have 100 lbs of 19.5% protein.

Personally I'd pass it onto your aunt, if she doesn't mind using it.

I feed either Purina Flock Raiser (20% protein) or more often Blue Seal Multi-Flock Starter/Grower (22% protein). A couple of places in New Brunswick carry Blue Seal feeds, not sure about Purina.

Thanks for the answers!

My regular crumble is a Purina, but when I asked about flock raiser at the agro Co-Op I got a blank stare. I'll check into both of those, thanks.

I'm mostly concerned about unexpected interactions(if switching from the amprolium feed) and fostering resistant bacteria from using the feed on birds not destined for immediate processing. I'm not super concerned about being organic/unmedicated but this is definitely more medication than my flock needs, if I do feed it ill definitely do as suggested and mix it. Potential kidney damage is not a delight either.

Back
Top Bottom