Turtle got one of my ducklings this morning!!

astronomer

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 7, 2014
I let my little ones out this morning to take a swim in the pond, and as I was walking up there to check on them I heard one of them screaming. She was barely above water and went under several times for a long time. I saw the turtle. It was pretty big. A well aimed big rock, and it finally let go. I don't know if she'll survive. She has a pretty big gash in her side. I cleaned it off, packed it with neosporin and wrapped it with sport wrap. She didn't bleed much, but I could see bone. She seems to be in good spirits at the moment. Hopefully she'll recover. The turtle must have been waiting in ambush, as I let them out every morning about the same time.

I had no idea there were snappers that big in that pond. My son had caught a few little ones while fishing, but nothing that big. I've been hunting all day for snappers, but only had my hooks cleaned off. Anyone have tips for catching snappers? I'm on a warpath!

Chicken on the line that's rotted in the sun a few days, fish works too. Use a big bobber or attach line and hook to an empty two liter soda bottle and leave it floating in the pond until u catch them or it. The big old snappers are scary for some reason we find big ones crossing our yard we even keep the 135 pound dog away until the coast is clear lol. Best of luck if you don't relocate them, eat em, yummy oh wait only if they are in season. :p

Thanks. Maybe I'll build a trap. Something has been cleaning the chicken off my hooks all day!
In Georgia, there are no restrictions on hunting snappers year round.
I have no intention on eating it though. Maybe I'll try and relocate it. We're missing a full grown duck too.
I thought a coyote or a fox, but it could have been that big snapper.

I am thinking that for that gash, you want to unwrap it and let some air get to it. Snappers deposit a boatload of bacteria when they strike, and those bacteria prefer an airless environment.

A vet's help would be best - one who will work with you. At the same time, I understand it's not always possible.

Here are my thoughts - I am not a vet, these are things I have read people doing on this forum and others.

Keep her inside, where flies cannot lay their eggs in the wound.

Gently trim - don't pluck - the feathers around the wound - get a good look at it. Rinse it with saline solution or Vetericyn spray. Let her splash in a warm (90 degrees F) tub of water just deeper than her legs are long. This will give you a chance to look her over well, see how she moves, make sure there is not another hidden injury.

I would lightly spray the wound with saline or Vetericyn four times a day. And I would get ahold of some oral antibiotics to be ready with in case it looks like any infection starts.

Now for the snapper - there is a Pests and Predators Forum - might give you much of what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Good ideas. Thanks. A vet is really not an option around here. There don't seem to be any that will see a duck. I do have some oral antibiotics. We changed the dressing this morning and put some more neorporin in there. It looks a little better. I'll have it air out when I get home tonight. She doesn't seem to be in anyway bothered by it, so we'll keep monitoring it.

I just need to share that since neosporin ointment keeps air out, I am nervous. Now if it is neosporin cream, that lets more air in. Oh, those details! We don't want gangrene.

Checked her this morning. She looks much better. Wound has scabbed over well. I'll keep an eye on it. I'm amazed she didn't die on the first day with as deep as that wound was.

Update. She was a he, and my only drake, so thank goodness he survived. Also, look what I caught today. Good thing too. I have 2 ducklings that just hatched 3 days ago.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom