Turtle with cracked shell

Oncoming Storm

Crowing
Jun 3, 2019
I found my dogs chewing on this turtle this afternoon. There are pieces hanging off and bleeding still attached. It’s alert and moving but should I try to clean it up and release it or? Advice is greatly appreciated.
image.jpg

Sometimes 'Crazy Gluing' the cracked pieces helps them heal. I'd be tempted to keep the turtle in a safe environment until it has healed. I have seen many box turtles that have survived chewed upon shells.

Sometimes 'Crazy Gluing' the cracked pieces helps them heal. I'd be tempted to keep the turtle in a safe environment until it has healed. I have seen many box turtles that have survived chewed upon shells.
Interesting! it’s currently resting in my bathtub to destress while we run some errands. I’ll definitely look more into that.

I’m not a turtle expert, I just remember reading you should clean any open wounds with hydrogen peroxide on a Q-tip. I have five box turtles, all but two have issues that make it dangerous for them to return to the wild (so personally I would keep him, at least until his shell heals). You can buy box turtle food at Petsmart.

Attachments

• IMG_6483.jpeg
    IMG_6483.jpeg
    926.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6474.jpeg
    IMG_6474.jpeg
    828.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1281.jpeg
    IMG_1281.jpeg
    559.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom