1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Tutorial for PP Carpenter's Wheel block

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Kassaundra, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool! 7 Years

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I was asked to show a tutorial of how to assemble the carpenter's wheel block w/ the paper pieced pattern I made so here it is hope it isn't to many pics.

[​IMG]

First of all here is the pattern this shows 1/4 of the block, so you will need 4 of these to make one 12 1/2 inch block. The individual rectangles should measure 2 inches by 3.5 inches from outside edges (not the sew line) This will make the 12.5 inch block.

If your working with a fabric that is directional use the arrows for directional placement as well as fabric choice.

The blank selection I marked as "very dark" really is background and doesn't have to be the darkest fabric

[​IMG]
    Each rectangle will be sewn first in regular pp fashion

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    An easy way to trim the long tail at the correct spot is to fold back, not at the sewing line, but a seam allowance past the sewing line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Just repeat this w/ the correct colors and placement X 32

[​IMG]
    Now place A with B, C-D, E-F, and G-H together

[​IMG]
    Use the picture for correct placement, but you will have to have the paper side up or things will be backwards and you (at least I do anyway) will get confused.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pin them at corners to keep everything lined up and straight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Each step from here on out can be chain pieced

[​IMG]
    When pressing just press where the majority of the seams that you are sewing across are laying opposite for easier sewing and lining.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Once the sets are finished then you sew AB - CD, EF - GH

[​IMG]
    Now ABCD to EFGH

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now you have the 4 quarters

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Press the center in a spiral it will lay flatter

[​IMG]
    There it is finished.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager 5 Years

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Really neat. I love to quilt but do the quick and easy. Thanks for your post.

3. CherMoz

CherMoz Songster

Mar 26, 2014
    South Central Wisconsin
    Very beautiful!! [​IMG] Although I am a quilter, I have not yet tried paper piecing. My job gets getting in the way of things I want to do

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: