Tuxedo Quail Genetics Question

Namentuppen

Songster
Mar 8, 2021
I am considering quail if my chicks don't work out. I'm trying to understand quail genetics. My favorite quail is the tuxedo quail; am I understanding how you get them correctly?

P generation: Tibetian x White
F1: Tuxedos, or at least some white on the Tibetian color?

If this is correct, what about F2 if a Tuxedo was bred with a Tuxedo? Or if a Tuxedo was bred with one of its parents, would it just give you the solid Tibetian color again and have some hidden recessive tuxedo genes that may appear in the next generation if two Dominant x Recessive tuxedo gene birds were bred?

Thanks!

I started with some tuxes so I didn’t start from white x Tibetan. If you cross tuxes you will not get whites or Tibetans, you will get a variety of tuxes, most with as much white as the parents some with less and some with more. If you keep crossing the whitest ones, you will start getting white patches in the back color, and less and less color over time and eventually youll get panda pattern and can work down to Texas a&m whites with a few dark spots.

The tux pattern is a collection of pied genes from what I understand, I think something like 5 or 7 separate genes, like white chin, white chest, white primaries etc. So the interaction off all those factors makes a lot of possible patterns. You can also have tuxes of any color or pattern, pharaoh, scarlet, Egyptian etc. Pearl fee look particularly striking with the white undercarriage imo.

I started with some tuxes so I didn’t start from white x Tibetan. If you cross tuxes you will not get whites or Tibetans, you will get a variety of tuxes, most with as much white as the parents some with less and some with more. If you keep crossing the whitest ones, you will start getting white patches in the back color, and less and less color over time and eventually youll get panda pattern and can work down to Texas a&m whites with a few dark spots.

The tux pattern is a collection of pied genes from what I understand, I think something like 5 or 7 separate genes, like white chin, white chest, white primaries etc. So the interaction off all those factors makes a lot of possible patterns. You can also have tuxes of any color or pattern, pharaoh, scarlet, Egyptian etc. Pearl fee look particularly striking with the white undercarriage imo.

Thank you! I just haven't seen any Tibetan tuxedo quail eggs or chicks for sale without having to order a million of them. I love the dark brown with the white undercarriage. I've seen some other tuxedo varieties for sale, but they weren't quite what I was looking for.

Thank you! I just haven't seen any Tibetan tuxedo quail eggs or chicks for sale without having to order a million of them. I love the dark brown with the white undercarriage. I've seen some other tuxedo varieties for sale, but they weren't quite what I was looking for.
I’m a big fan of tuxes. I just separated out my older gals in the sex link pen, which is all Tibetan tux hens with a scarlet messy tux boy now. I will be setting and hatching a new group of tuxes in about a month, if by some chance you’re in nj, I do sell chicks and eggs.

I’m a big fan of tuxes. I just separated out my older gals in the sex link pen, which is all Tibetan tux hens with a scarlet messy tux boy now. I will be setting and hatching a new group of tuxes in about a month, if by some chance you’re in nj, I do sell chicks and eggs.
Unfortunately I’m way over in TX, but thank you!

I am considering quail if my chicks don't work out. I'm trying to understand quail genetics. My favorite quail is the tuxedo quail; am I understanding how you get them correctly?

P generation: Tibetian x White
F1: Tuxedos, or at least some white on the Tibetian color?

If this is correct, what about F2 if a Tuxedo was bred with a Tuxedo? Or if a Tuxedo was bred with one of its parents, would it just give you the solid Tibetian color again and have some hidden recessive tuxedo genes that may appear in the next generation if two Dominant x Recessive tuxedo gene birds were bred?

Thanks!
I would not recommend you to try quails if you don't get routine with chickens. Why? Because chickens are easier to maintain and raise. Especially you have to be very seasoned with chicken successful breeding if you want to step to raise and breed the quails. Quails feeding requirements are vary from their age, production goal and humane and healthy keeping. Missing any of quail feeding puzzles such as stress, calcium supply, food crude protein content, microelements etc. can lead you to failure by getting late producing or not producing at all birds. They also get sick and non fertile including low hatching rates and embryo morbidity. I want that you become successful chicken breeder, before you try to switch to quails, which have certain nutritional requirements which are very different from chickens in many aspects. As good start buy some Tuxedo hatching eggs from reputable breeder, and incubate your own chicks. After you make two or three different breeding lines from different hatcheries, you can start breeding your favorite type of birds based on personal preferences based on birds phenotype. For example if you breed jumbo A&M white one with Rosetta color you can get very interesting color combinations also.
Please don't take this reply as criticism, but eye opening towards you goal to try something new you never tried before.
Thank for reading.

Back
Top Bottom