Tweaking prefab coop & nest box question

Yup they get on the roost with no problem now, the roost bar is now only about an inch higher than the edge of the run extension on the coop, and they often perch on that during the day. It helps a lot that they have that extra foot or so of space, so they can find space to fly up and get on in the first place, even though they all still sleep on just half the bar.

Yup they get on the roost with no problem now, the roost bar is now only about an inch higher than the edge of the run extension on the coop, and they often perch on that during the day. It helps a lot that they have that extra foot or so of space, so they can find space to fly up and get on in the first place, even though they all still sleep on just half the bar.
Great! Yes, they need 'extra' room(beyond what they can sleep in) to fly up.

Looks good. I would put some nesting material and a fake egg in there so they get the idea thats where they are supposed to lay.

I have some straw drying in the garage which should be nicely dried out in a week or two (I was drying outside, and then it rained, so inside it is) and oddly our property also came with 2 golf balls that were sitting near the dog house, so those will be my fake eggs. Not trying to be cheap, just creative, since I see a lot of people on this site finding ways to repurpose things they have lying around into things for their chicken - it's pretty inspiring!

Back
Top Bottom