Tweety is not tweeting - HELP

IdahoPatriot

Chirping
Jun 18, 2016
I've read countless threads on gapeworms, but no one has shown any pictures of the eggs in the poop/feces so I can tell if my little lady has them, or is having trouble breathing due to another issue. Nor has anyone described where her trachea is located. I found an illustration, but without a key to the numbered body parts. See link below.

She has no runny nostrils or any sort of mucus anywhere.

I though she might have gotten something lodged in her throat/trachea, but I don't even know where to look exactly. I have looked down her 'throat' while holding her beak open and it looks like a huge tube and it goes way down her neck, which makes me think it is her esophagus. I did find this one post with a illustration of a chicken's beak and neck and it labels two tubes in the neck, but it is labeled with numbers and there is no 'key' to tell me which 'tube'is the esophagus and which is her windpipe - 1 or 2??

LINK >>> illustration

PLEASE can someone post pictures, actual photos of the eggs as I would see them, and, some sort of guidance on where her trachea is located.

I do not need a huge discussion about if it is, or is not, gapeworm as much as I need fast answers to diagnose. What do the eggs look like in their poop, and where is her trachea is actually located so I can try to swab for the worms as I have read about as another possible way to verify if she does in fact have gapeworms, or not.

I know that they're not 'common' and some have even said they are rare in chickens - fine. I just want to verify or eliminate them as a possibility.

I've read a few places about swabbing their trachea, but honestly, I am afraid of causing an injury. Any thoughts on that? Supposedly, swabbing it may pull a few worms out and they are apparently easy to identify due to their red color and Y shape.??

I've read countless threads on gapeworms, but no one has shown any pictures of the eggs in the poop/feces so I can tell if my little lady has them, or is having trouble breathing due to another issue.

Nor has anyone described where her trachea is located. I found an illustration, but without a key to the numbered body parts.

I though she might have gotten something lodged in her throat/trachea, but I don't even know where to look exactly. I have looked down her 'throat' while holding her beak open and it looks like a huge tube and it goes way down her neck, which makes me think it is her esophagus.

I do not need a huge discussion about if it is, or is not, gapeworm as much as I need fast answers to diagnose. What do the eggs look like in their poop
You can NOT see Gapeworm eggs (or other worm's eggs) in the poop with the naked eye. If you have a microscope you may be able to identify "something", but unless "trained" it would be best to take some samples to your vet for testing - that would be the "fast answer".

If you want to provide more information about the symptoms that your hen(?) has, we will be happy to make some suggestions.
"Gaping" can be from a number of things from respiratory disease and gapeworm to crop and reproductive issues. There are many possibilities.

If you are not certain of anatomy of trachea and esophagus to try to swab anything, then taking her to an avian vet is best.
There's some good photos in this article.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

This is what the various worm eggs look like, under microscope, none are visible to the naked eye in droppings. I would not recommend that you attempt to swab the esophagus yourself unless you know what you are doing. A fecal test is the simplest of ways to verify or rule out parasites, and not usually terribly expensive.
poultryparasites.jpg

bcd_parasites-in-chickens_fig-6-24066-article.jpg

You can NOT see Gapeworm eggs (or other worm's eggs) in the poop with the naked eye. If you have a microscope you may be able to identify "something", but unless "trained" it would be best to take some samples to your vet for testing - that would be the "fast answer".

If you want to provide more information about the symptoms that your hen(?) has, we will be happy to make some suggestions.
"Gaping" can be from a number of things from respiratory disease and gapeworm to crop and reproductive issues. There are many possibilities.

If you are not certain of anatomy of trachea and esophagus to try to swab anything, then taking her to an avian vet is best.
There's some good photos in this article.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Thank you Wyorp Rock, Coach723 & TwoCrows - apologies for my bluntness about long discussions. I had seen so many that went on and on and on with no report of resolution. Everyone has been very helpful.

Symptoms:
- extending neck and opening beak, with sometimes little wheez/hiss sound - not making any other sounds
- less energetic than the other 3 hens, not drastically, but noticeable
- comb has some black spotting, other hens do not have this
- still laying eggs regularly
- been going on for 4 days now
- no nasal seepage, mucus discharge, eyes are clear
- eating and drinking normally
+ let me know if there are other symptoms/non-symptoms that I missed or didn't know to report.

Thank you Wyorp Rock, Coach723 & TwoCrows - apologies for my bluntness about long discussions. I had seen so many that went on and on and on with no report of resolution. Everyone has been very helpful.

Symptoms:
- extending neck and opening beak, with sometimes little wheez/hiss sound - not making any other sounds
- less energetic than the other 3 hens, not drastically, but noticeable
- comb has some black spotting, other hens do not have this
- still laying eggs regularly
- been going on for 4 days now
- no nasal seepage, mucus discharge, eyes are clear
- eating and drinking normally
+ let me know if there are other symptoms/non-symptoms that I missed or didn't know to report.
Poor Thing!
Can you post some photos of her?
Where are you located in the world (Maybe Idaho?)LOL
Black spots on the comb - is she being picked at?
How much ventilation is in your coop?

I know you've looked inside the beak, but can you check again for any lesions or yellow/white crusty/cheesy spots that might be canker?

Is her crop completely empty in the morning before she eats/drinks? Any sour smell to her breath?

Any swelling, bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen?

Have you added any birds to your flock in the last 30 days?

Extending the neck with wheezing could be respiratory disease. Molds/mildew, excess ammonia and poor ventilation can also cause respiratory symptoms.

If vet care is possible, then take her in. A lot of times we have to try to treat ourselves, so you could try antibiotics to see if that makes a difference. Tylosin can be ordered online - it will treat bacterial problems like Mycoplasma.

Back
Top Bottom