Twentynine Palms, CA

down-home Dave

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Twentynine Palms, CA
Hello from 29 Palms, CA. My name is David. I have been checking this site out for months and reading my Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow in anticipation of receiving my chicks. I just picked up 16 babies from the post office yesterday. I have Easter Eggers, Welsumers, and White Jersey Giants in the brooder. My brooder is fashioned from a bath tub that I got from a good friend's back yard. They use it to bathe outside on hot summer days out here in the high desert. My coop is almost finished. In the process of painting to weather proof, then I am going to hang the wire. That's about it. Just wanted to say hello officially after looking on from the outside for so long, and get my first post out of the way. Have a fantastic day, and wonderful Easter!

Hello from 29 Palms, CA. My name is David. I have been checking this site out for months and reading my Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow in anticipation of receiving my chicks. I just picked up 16 babies from the post office yesterday. I have Easter Eggers, Welsumers, and White Jersey Giants in the brooder. My brooder is fashioned from a bath tub that I got from a good friend's back yard. They use it to bathe outside on hot summer days out here in the high desert. My coop is almost finished. In the process of painting to weather proof, then I am going to hang the wire. That's about it. Just wanted to say hello officially after looking on from the outside for so long, and get my first post out of the way. Have a fantastic day, and wonderful Easter!

Alright David,
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

Make sure your chickens never run out of water where you are and watering down the sand is always a delight for them as they haven't any shoes .....
cool.png

Some of our EE pullets
clap.gif

I try to add water to the feed to cut down on feed loss do to the high winds
droolin.gif

Feeding time at the zoo
celebrate.gif

gander007
old.gif

Thanks Gander. Yes, the wind out here can be brutal. If it's not sunny and hot, its extremely windy...and/or both. LOL. The advice is much appreciated.

Is there any way of searching members by their listed location? Or, would I just need to do a generic search for the location, and sift through the results?

images

Welcome to BYC!

Congrats on your new babies! Sounds like you picked some really nice breeds. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Thanks 2 Crows!

All of the chicks seem to be healthy and happy.

5 Female Welsumers: they are very pretty birds & seem to have the most personality.

5 Female White Jersey Giants

6 Female Easter Eggers: 3 dark brown/gray & 3 light gray w/ little beards.

Thanks Gander. Yes, the wind out here can be brutal. If it's not sunny and hot, its extremely windy...and/or both. LOL. The advice is much appreciated.

Is there any way of searching members by their listed location? Or, would I just need to do a generic search for the location, and sift through the results?
No, but you can head over to your state thread and talk to members in your area...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/565482/california-the-whole-state-thread

smile.png

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you are going to have a pretty flock and a colorful egg basket. TwoCrows gave you the link to the whole CA thread, otherwise you have to do a general search on the city name etc.

It's all good. I was just wondering if there was a better way to find locals near me without sifting through a ton of posts. But, that is less important than being social with the international back yard chicken community here. Thanks for the welcome Kelsie!

I’m interested what’s the best contact number

Back
Top Bottom