Twice this morning....

Well, even an experienced chicken sexer makes mistakes once in a while. Luckily, you have a really good looking little man there. I think you will have no trouble re-homing him.

even sexed chicks are only guaranteed like 98% accurate? Now, I DID complain when I purchased 5 sexed pullets and 3 of them turned out to be roos!

Thanks all! We will wait and see if neighbors complain....And, we will offer free eggs for life??
celebrate.gif

Thanks all! We will wait and see if neighbors complain....And, we will offer free eggs for life??
celebrate.gif

I'd recommend taking a pro-active approach and talking to your neighbors now rather than waiting for them to complain. If you know now whether they're willing to tolerate or not, you'll know how fast you may need to move and can ensure he finds a good home if it comes to that.

And remember, he's little now, so if you think he's pretty loud at this point, just wait. The bigger they are, the louder they crow and rocks are not small birds.

I had the same situation. I just went over and talked to my neighbors. They were fine with it. They even tell me they like it.

neighbor #1 said he doesnt mind hearing from his egg supplier.
neighbor #2 said he grew up on a farm and he loves it. sometimes i catch him standing in his driveway crowing at the roo.
neighbor #3 said he didnt mind as long as i didnt mind his friday night parties. (they are young)
neighbor #4 said what are you talking about? what rooster? i havent heard a thing.
neighbor #6 is a small care home and they said they never heard it and the residents take their hearing aids out at night so they wouldnt hear it anyway.

Like I said, go talk to them and if you are able, share eggs with them.

Okay! We will take the proactive approach. I will go and visit the neighbors and bring some beer/wine/fresh produce from our garden. I will let you all know ASAP. I love this forum and thank all of you for the support.

Hi all, I admit it took me until yesterday to muster up my courage and talk to neighbors about Spot, our roo. I went with fresh herb butter from our garden and fresh herb ricotta cheese. Everyone was so amazing! 1. "You are the house with the rooster? It doesn't bother us." 2. "I haven't heard the rooster, but look forward to it." (She invited me in to pick some berries from her garden!)
3. We like the sound of roosters and will share our garden produce with you too." (Offered some onions and some gardening tips!) 4. "Too bad to hear that you have a rooster, but thanks for the food." (This is the neighbor who introduced us to his backyard chickens) 5. "We haven't heard him, but we are easy." 6. (They were not home, but related to our next door neighbors and should be ok.)

Thanks everyone for your adivce and I am so happy we did! This morning was the first morning we weren't holding our breath when Spot greets the morning! I wish you all were close so I could give you some butter and cheese.
celebrate.gif

Hi Sarahej, and all - I am a new poster but have been lurking for a while. Just an FYI we were concerned that our BR was a roo too, she made such odd chicken noises alot of which sounded like cockadoodldoo-ing --- fairly early on too. She was very red and matured much faster than all the other hens (just a few days apart in age), and also gave us our first egg a week ago!
lol.png
She still makes a lot of noise, especially after she lays --- which has been daily already.

I am glad your neighbors are understanding, we can't have roos either and were frightened about what to do. We were certainly relieved when she started crouching a few weeks ago and that secured us in knowing that she was indeed a she.

Either way, it sounds like you'll be fine.
wink.png

Kristin

Back
Top Bottom